Respected Contributor

Re: Cocktails at the jewelry store?

Well I did leave behind a very nice Judith Ripka watch to be repaired so maybe when I pick it up I’ll get me a glass of bubbly! 

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi 

and she said, "YOU can't afford those".     

Honestly, if that was said to me I would have been shocked and shamed because it would have brought me back to my childhood and growing up. Not many things get to me to feel that way, but this is one that would have. I know that inside I would have felt like crying and running away. I would have stayed feeling like that for awhile and when I came out of the initial shock, I would have lashed at that clerk like there was no tomorrow. I would have been mean and probably caused a scene doing no good to anyone. I would leave feeling defensive but inside I would have been wounded and gone home and cried.

Just reading how you were treated hurt me and I am so sorry you were treated that way.

Valued Contributor

I’ve been getting offered glasses of champagne with my hair appointments for over 15 years, as well as when I get pedicures. I know of at least one high end clothing store in my area that serves champagne to shoppers, too. This seems pretty normal to me. I think there’s sometimes a stigma attached to alcohol because so many people abuse it. I have drinks with my boss at least once a week (in his office when he hosts the staff on Friday afternoons) and when we have our weekly one on one meetings we sometimes walk down the street and have drinks and tapas while we talk business. If I go out to lunch for Inidan food, I’ll have a beer, because I like the way it tastes with the curry. I don’t think a glass of beer over a one hour, 3 course meal is going to hinder my job performance or concern my boss who opens the bar every Friday. It’s all about moderation. 

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@Grouchomarx    I was waiting to pick up a necklace I was having repaired at a local jeweler.    I asked the clerk to show me a pair of sapphire stud earrings..........and she said, "YOU can't afford those".     

@Desertdi 

How rude!  That would certainly be the last time I entered that store!!! 

I would have also made a point of calling the store manager to report the incident, shortly thereafter.   Just because.

Valued Contributor

Thry should have liquor for what is charged, like fancy salons. Gucci  and LV ned to step up their game, lol.

Valued Contributor

@Desertdi And she can?

Valued Contributor

@Highlands72 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

What a nit wit for a sales person. she has no idea what anyone can afford. I have read about 2 other ladies that were told that very same thing, one was the wife of Henry Ford ,and the other was Cher

---

If I recall correctly, Oprah had a similar experience. I think she was in Europe and was interested in an expensive purse.

I remember that story! Yes she was somewhere in Europe although I don't think she said where. She pointed to a pricey purse on a shelf and asked to see it. The clerk snipped "You can't afford it!" Woman LOL 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

@ScarletDove ........could you please inform me as to why talking about cocktails and drinks is inappropriate?

@Imaoldhippie  I will repeat my reply to another poster--my cousin died from his alcoholism. I am an occasional glass-of-wine person, my in-laws were heavy drinkers and my ex-husband was a heavy drinker, could not handle it, I got to experience it!  Now you know my sensitivity.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

How totally inappropriate but then nothing really surprises me today!  Ever notice on QVC kitchen shows certain hosts talk about cocktails and drinks.....totally inappropriate!

@ScarletDove, I don't imbibe, but probably the majority does enjoy it. I'm not clear on the reason that offering a glass of wine or cocktail (although the latter a bit more unusual) or mentioning them on QVC (they do, in fact, sell wines) is at all inappropriate. I seriously doubt their either leads to any abuse or danger.

@suzyQ3  I do not imbibe either, an occasional glass of wine. My cousin died from his alcoholism and my ex-husband was a drinker, could not handle it, I got to experience it!  A bit sensitive!

Honored Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

How totally inappropriate but then nothing really surprises me today!  Ever notice on QVC kitchen shows certain hosts talk about cocktails and drinks.....totally inappropriate!

@ScarletDove, I don't imbibe, but probably the majority does enjoy it. I'm not clear on the reason that offering a glass of wine or cocktail (although the latter a bit more unusual) or mentioning them on QVC (they do, in fact, sell wines) is at all inappropriate. I seriously doubt their either leads to any abuse or danger.

@suzyQ3  I do not imbibe either, an occasional glass of wine. My cousin died from his alcoholism and my ex-husband was a drinker, could not handle it, I got to experience it!  A bit sensitive!

@ScarletDove, both my parents drank quite heavily. I, too, am very aware of the abuse and its toll. I think that we both just approach it differently.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland