Honored Contributor

Re: Cocktails at the jewelry store?

I was an antique dealer/collector.  I remember only one store that served alcohol with its grand opening.  Of course I bought more than I normally would.  I no longer drink, but I would shy away at a jewelry store, I don't need any nudges to buy.  

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

How totally inappropriate but then nothing really surprises me today!  Ever notice on QVC kitchen shows certain hosts talk about cocktails and drinks.....totally inappropriate!

@ScarletDove, I don't imbibe, but probably the majority does enjoy it. I'm not clear on the reason that offering a glass of wine or cocktail (although the latter a bit more unusual) or mentioning them on QVC (they do, in fact, sell wines) is at all inappropriate. I seriously doubt their either leads to any abuse or danger.

@suzyQ3  I do not imbibe either, an occasional glass of wine. My cousin died from his alcoholism and my ex-husband was a drinker, could not handle it, I got to experience it!  A bit sensitive!

@ScarletDove, both my parents drank quite heavily. I, too, am very aware of the abuse and its toll. I think that we both just approach it differently.

@suzyQ3  Agreed!

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Today I went to a jewelry store I’ve never been to. I needed a lot of watch batteries and found the place by accident while driving around. I’ve been driving around with a stash of dead watches for months, hoping for a convenient place to get them done. Found it! So I walk in after they buzzed me through the door and put in my request. While waiting for them to be done I’m just looking around, only a few other customers aside from me. After a while I notice a guy leaning on a counter and he seems to have a colorful drink he’s sipping on, then I noticed there is a full bar set up in the corner! I’ve never seen such a thing. Sure I’ve seen people having a champagne toast or something similar, but never a full bar with a lot of bottles of liquor. So funny. And funnier it took me at least 15 minutes to notice LoL. I wonder what is the deal with that. It’s a very nice jewelry store and they had a lot of expensive looking merchandise. Maybe a free cocktail with every purchase? I didn’t qualify with my watch batteries purchase, too bad.

I am so glad there are channels like JTV  and Shop LC.  Jewelry stores are so so over priced now they want to play happy hour lol.

Honored Contributor

@AuntMame wrote:

@Highlands72 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

What a nit wit for a sales person. she has no idea what anyone can afford. I have read about 2 other ladies that were told that very same thing, one was the wife of Henry Ford ,and the other was Cher

---

If I recall correctly, Oprah had a similar experience. I think she was in Europe and was interested in an expensive purse.

I remember that story! Yes she was somewhere in Europe although I don't think she said where. She pointed to a pricey purse on a shelf and asked to see it. The clerk snipped "You can't afford it!" Woman LOL 

I totally remember that.  Bet they felt stupid when they found out who she was.  Oprah probably could have purchased the store lol.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine 919 : The Oprah incident happened in 2013 when she was in Rome at the Louis Vitton store.