Honored Contributor

Cloth Masks vs Medical Disposable Masks

I have mostly worn cloth masks, I did my homework and bought a box of 50 disposable masks. I bought the box of masks for when I’ll go to the salon, dentist, and doctor. I wore one today when I went food shopping. I like the cloth mask so much better. The disposable mask did have the wire at the bridge of the nose, however I found there was too much movement, I had to keep readjusting it on my face, the cloth mask is a much more comfortable fit.

Respected Contributor

Re: Cloth Masks vs Medical Disposable Masks

Threw all my masks away, switched to a face guard on an eyeglass frame & it's great...no breathing  problems, it's cooler, my eyes are covered & I can clean it anytime anywhere with an alcohol wipe.

Honored Contributor

I prefer my KN95 mask and it stays in place. 

I've worn the disposable blue medical masks also and they are comfortable. 

Only one cloth mask is my favorite and I've bought a TON of them.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51  That's my next step.  Can't stand wearing any sort of mask.  May I ask, which one did you get?  Amazon has many, none with great ratings.  TIA!

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 , were you pulling the paper mask down far enough under your chin? I had a problem with them shifting too but once I learned they need to be pulled under further, no prob anymore.   

Trusted Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

Threw all my masks away, switched to a face guard on an eyeglass frame & it's great...no breathing  problems, it's cooler, my eyes are covered & I can clean it anytime anywhere with an alcohol wipe.

@kitcat51  I just ordered a couple of those for the summer when it will be too hot to wear the 3 layers I currently wear - 2 masks and a cotton insert.  I figure one mask and the shield will be good.  The only thing is I've heard criticism of the shield because air flow goes upwards through the bottom but if hospital workers wear them that's good enough for me.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

I guess I wish my cloth masks had the nose wire.  My nose is small so I have to wear sunglasses to keep the mask down in place.  Most of my sunglasses are large framed and I wear them on top of the mask.

Valued Contributor

I've bought cloth masks from Ebay.  They do stay in place and are heavier than the paper masks, but also can feel hotter wearing them.    For cleaning, I steam both sides of them.

Trusted Contributor

@Lucky Charm  It's a good idea to wear glasses to protect your eyes which also have mucus membranes as a possible point of entry and you'll need to have the glasses sitting on top of the upper edge of the mask to keep your breath from fogging up the glasses.  I also wear clear lens glasses over my mask on cloudy days.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@SeaGal wrote:

@Jordan2 , were you pulling the paper mask down far enough under your chin? I had a problem with them shifting too but once I learned they need to be pulled under further, no prob anymore.   

@SeaGal I thought I pulled it down enough, but you do need to keep part of your nose covered too. I live in NYC and it isn’t that hot yet. I don’t know what I’ll do when the 90’s weather hits, sweating under the mask!