Honored Contributor

Re: Cloth Masks vs Medical Disposable Masks

@Deree wrote:

@QueenDanceALot   Yes, Of course they do.  I mentioned the air flow in case 1. those who are really concerned about transmission don't think that a shield is good enough alone and 2.  because it was pointed out on the news by someone (I forget who, but probably a doc) that the airflow is actually directed upwards under/behind the shield.  

Please don't argue with me about it because I've had enough of that here to last me a while. I'm just relating what I heard.  I don't know if it is so but have to admit the airflow thing makes sense to me. I realize hospital workers use shields over masks -- as they should -- because coughing sneezing and spittle that is projected directly at them is stopped by the shield first and foremost.

@Deree 

LOL, I have no intention of arguing with you about it.  Perhaps I heard the same interview you did.  I do recall the individual saying that we need to protect our eyes as well as they are an entry point as well as nose and mouth.

Sorry if I thought you might be saying that a shield instead of a mask is good enough.

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

We toss our cloth masks in the laundry and wash in hot water every single time we get home. Period.  Obviously we have several. 🙄

Liar.

Cat WinkCat LOL

Valued Contributor

@Deree After reading the thread in wellness I know you are from NY and life is quite different there....much more stressful.  But, not everyone realizes where you are from. Perhaps you could put it somewhere in your profile so we can all remember to treat our NY friends with extra support, love and kindness.  

Just a thought and I would like to see all who are from NY do the same.  

Hope no one finds that offensive........but it just pains me @Deree 

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:

I use the disposable surgical ones exclusively.

When I see cloth masks, all I see is unhealthful mouth-breathing, and all I envision is spit, snot, and pathogen-infested material. One big yuck. And like randomly-tested reusable bags (ironically now banned in many venues in favor of single-use plastic ones, shown to be petri dishes), those who say they're laundering them after each use, are lying.

The surgical masks far outnumber the cloth masks here. Maybe that's because they're the ones being distributed by local public agencies. They're also easy to breathe through, and obviate the need for some to breathe through their mouths, or to breathei n a labored manner.

And the disposable masks are now so accessible that they're being disposed of after each use, at least by us. There's no excuse now for people reusing them. Wegmans has them, Tops has them, a number of pharmacies have them-- even Big Lots is now selling them. And they're affordable, too.

Notwithstanding the debated efficacy of wearing a mask to prevent or reduce transmission of this virus, disposable surgical masks are the way to go.

@Moonlady,  please clarify the highlighted portion of your post. There seems to be confusion as to whether you are referring to face masks being washed after every use or the reusable grocery bags being washed after every use.

I read the statement as referring to the grocery bags but now I'm not sure if others are misinterpreting what you wrote, if I am misinterpreting what you wrote.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mj12 wrote:

We toss our cloth masks in the laundry and wash in hot water every single time we get home. Period.  Obviously we have several. 🙄

@Mj12   Liar liar

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire | Rami Ungar The Writer

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I have about six cloth masks (more to come), I wear each one time, then wash them. The disposable ones I wear one time and then toss.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

@Deree After reading the thread in wellness I know you are from NY and life is quite different there....much more stressful.  But, not everyone realizes where you are from. Perhaps you could put it somewhere in your profile so we can all remember to treat our NY friends with extra support, love and kindness.  

Just a thought and I would like to see all who are from NY do the same.  

Hope no one finds that offensive........but it just pains me @Deree 

Thank you very much @germanshepherdlove for your kindness and understanding. Heart  I appreciate the suggestion. 

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I purchased 12 cloth masks from a Japanese woman who lives in my area. She gets the masks from Japan. They are four layers and one layer has embedded copper threads another layer says silver nitrate. Both are antimicrobial. They are comfortable.

I ordered the same masks for my husband and son. They come in different sizes which was helpful.

On the package it states that the masks should only be hand washed and not put into a washing machine or dryer. It says the water must not be hotter than 80 degrees.

I keep a large lock & lock container on the kitchen counter and we drop our masks in the container and I fill the container with Dawn and very warm water. Swish them around and let them soak for about an hour. I rinse them in warm water and hang them to dry.

They come out clean. I believe I heard that washing the cloth masks in a washing machine loosens the fibers making them less secure.

I think the masks I bought probably don't want hot water because of the copper/silver fibers.

Valued Contributor

@Cakers3 

Can you give a link to the no-sew techniques you use to make your masks? I don't own a sewing machine, and probably wouldn't be able to figure one out if I did. TIA

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CaliKat wrote:

@Cakers3 

Can you give a link to the no-sew techniques you use to make your masks? I don't own a sewing machine, and probably wouldn't be able to figure one out if I did. TIA

@CaliKat   Hi CaliKat:

I'm not sure if I should link but I will-if the mod edits here is where I found 2 types:

On WikiHow-the 1st one with a bandana and hair elastics.  You could use old t-shirt material, too.  I did need to used two elastics per side.

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-%22No-Sew%22-Face-Mask

The second one I found on Youtube-I like tihs one better for t-shirt material  because you can tie around your head top and bottom and really tighten as you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUcC9_yJvHM

Let me know how you is works out for you.  These are the two methods I use and have been very happy with the results.

I don't use shoelaces for this one-I have a heavier type yarn.  This one isn't glamorous but I really like how you can adjust the mask.

These links do not have anything against standards so you should be good to go.

ETA:  I like bandanas that have been thinned out from being washed; same with t-shirts. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh