Esteemed Contributor

I wasn't invited to any of mine either because I didn't keep in touch with anyone so no one could have known I got married and what my new last name was. My mom and I moved to an apartment shortly have I graduated and I got married about four years later. I basically dropped off the face of the earth as far as they were concerned. 

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

I'm surprised to see so much negativity!  Maybe it's a regional thing, but class reunions are popular here in NE Ohio.  Let me first mention that I was not particularly popular in HS......I was pretty shy with only a few close friends.

Our first reunion was at 42 years, and they came from all over the country.  Our graduating class was only 85, so we all knew each other, and we had so much fun that we had our 50th just last September 2016.

The crowd wasn't as large as the 42nd, and some were showing obvious signs of aging, but we were all still so happy to see each other again. One of the guys even put together a CD of old school pictures for each of us to take home with us.  Believe it or not, they were even able to get four of our teachers to attend, and we all contributed to their meals. There were many hugs and smiles.  The only negative part was the awful bronchitis I caught while I was there!

BTW, I stayed to the end, and the caterers had us take home the leftovers.  (the food was wonderful.)  I had good eats for the next couple days! 

@2blonde

No negativity here re: reunions.  I say each to his/her own ~ HS reunions just don't figure large in my life.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

I haven't read all the responses yet.

I used the occasion of the 200th anniversary of my high school to arrange a get together with two of my best friends from childhood.  We skipped the reunion, had a dinner date and arranged to meet some other neighborhood friends at a downtown annual fete.  We had a great time.  Two of us have moved away.  We are all glad we did it. We are 62 and 63 years old. LM

Super Contributor

no, I'm from a tiny town that I hated and live far, far away! Don't want to go back to hear gossip & extreme prejudice from my very religious high schoolers.  

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

I can't make a decision that's so far into the future. Will I even be around then? I'm already in touch with the only people I care to be that I knew back then though. 

@Lordie be, as I didn't already have the dreaded mortality shakes. Now I feel as if I am about to crumble into dust any minute. ;-)

@suzyQ3 Well as someone that was given a 30% chance of survivial at 32, I tend to focus on now because life has no guarentees. I'm glad I've made it through and I'm still around but will I be around when I'm 70 I have no idea? 

@jaxs mom, good for you!

BTW, I certainly hope that you will be around at 70. Of course, you would have to decide two or three years earlier as to attending your HS 50th. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Nope. I attended my 10th and 20th and that was enough. Too many people in my high school class never moved away, so I had nothing in common with them as they married young, had kids, now have grandkids, and stayed in the same area. I didn't stay in the area, didn't marry young, never had kids, and moved around the country. You could tell by looking at me that I was "different." The women were all concerned about the single woman talking to their husbands. No one had any energy or enthusiasm and it was disappointing.

I tried to get some schoolmates to go out after one evening's festivities wrapped up and they all were concerned about getting home for the babysitter/check on little Bobby, or were just too tired.  Phooey.

I didn't enjoy high school anyway and in my final semester I had an internship off campus. Have only kept in touch with one or two people since graduation, so no burning desire to see anyone.

Esteemed Contributor

I have been to 3 HS reunions: 25, 35 and 50. I enjoyed all three (even though I wasn't super popular).  It was interesting that by 50th most of us weren't dying our hair but we still looked pretty good--for old folks!  My 55th is coming up and I won't be there (on FB my class posts those who've passed -about one a month).  Since I lived in same house until I was 22, I also had many friends from kindergarten thru college (that was the most fun reconnecting with these folks).

Honored Contributor

While I think that reunions are great, I don't think it would be for me.   I'm not even there yet and my memory is almost all gone now.  

I can't even remember people from 15-20 years ago at this point.   Therefore, I would feel like I was in a room full of strangers and I don't do a room full of strangers any better than I do being yelled at.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I graduated high school 45 years ago and never attended any of my reunions. I told myself on graduation day that that was it! I'm outta here! I went with my dh to his class reunions....now they were fun!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Re: Class Reunions

[ Edited ]

I did last September (50th high school) and had a good time.  It's not for everyone, though.  I haven't read any but your initial post, @kaydee50.  But when these questions come up, most seem disinclined. 

I've gone to three over the years, and one was a little "rough."  But I've lived away from my area for a long, long time and on balance it's always good to have a reality check.  Some of my memories seem improbable, and then I talk to the people involved--no, they are pretty accurate!

People who have lived at the same place all those years may have a lower tolerance for friction. At a party of dozens of people (in my school's case) who haven't seen each other for 50 years, some may not "meld" very well. 

They did at the 50th--I had a great time, most of it with strangers!. They didn't at one 7 years ago that I also attended. It was a little discordant in spots--though pleasant in others.  It all depends on who shows up.  

If I remember things wrong, I am corrected.  I like that.  At that "rough"  informal reunion a few years ago, I heard incredible stuff about my class to which I was oblivious at the time!

I would love to go to a reunion of elementary school but (having grown up in a small and dying factory town as we all did), many of the boys, drafted for Vietnam, died in their teens and early twenties.  My first boyfriend has a square in my home town named after him. 

I still like to see the survivors of life in the twentieth century, and because I was not really popular in school and was considered a nerd, I have no standard to maintain.

I've lived away from my hometown since my later teens and love to reconnect with no pressure, as in reunions.  Or decide not to--    Smiley Happy

I am in touch with several more people in my high school class that I was not friends with back in the day (nor enemies--they were just neutral). I am not in Facebook but they are staying in touch by email.  Nice to reconnect with those who have a shared history.

The girl that hated me because I wore the same dress she did at prom _still_ will not speak to me after fifty years.  It pleased me to see that I didn't have a skewed memory of her!