Contributor

Has anyone used Ceylon cinnamon supplements to help control glucose levels?  My HgA1c was elevated back in April.  My doctor put me on Metformin, which made me sick as a dog.  I tried to tough it out for two months but I just got sicker and sicker.  I stopped taking it.  After a discussion with my doctor, we decided to try being vigilant about my diet, and re-evaluating after 3 months.  Happily, my A1C is good, I lost some weight and my blood pressure was normal, but my fasting glucose was still slightly elevated.  My doctor was pleased with my progress, and we will test again in 2 months.  Meanwhile, I heard about cinnamon supplements.  Has anyone had success with these supplements?  Any side effects?  Thanks for any advice offered.

Honored Contributor

I am a type 2 diabetic. PLEASE don't go taking supplements WITHOUT discussing it with your doctor.

This is critical. None of us know your medical history. Too many people  take supplements and often make their medical situation worse, or the supplements can counter act any other meds.

PLEASE talk to your doc first. Please.

Honored Contributor

@Phillygurrl wrote:

Has anyone used Ceylon cinnamon supplements to help control glucose levels?  My HgA1c was elevated back in April.  My doctor put me on Metformin, which made me sick as a dog.  I tried to tough it out for two months but I just got sicker and sicker.  I stopped taking it.  After a discussion with my doctor, we decided to try being vigilant about my diet, and re-evaluating after 3 months.  Happily, my A1C is good, I lost some weight and my blood pressure was normal, but my fasting glucose was still slightly elevated.  My doctor was pleased with my progress, and we will test again in 2 months.  Meanwhile, I heard about cinnamon supplements.  Has anyone had success with these supplements?  Any side effects?  Thanks for any advice offered.

Why mess with hocus pocus stuff when you are receiving good care?  Your doctor put you on regimen and it's working for you.  You're doctor is pleased with your progress.  Why aren't you?   If you really want to do more, skip the herbs and add some exersize into the mix.  

Contributor

There are other oral medications for glucose levels. I am a Type II diabetic. My doctor put me on  Metformin. After two days, I went back and said,  "I am not taking that stuff! It is tearing my stomach up." So he put me on Amaryl. Amaryl works differently than Metformin. It is a small pill, about the size of Levothyroxin. I take 1/2 morning and 1/2 nightly. My fasting glucose is good and so is HbA1c.

As always, talk to your doctor.

I also take cinnamon. Cinnamon can help smooth the peaks and valleys of glucose levels.

Definitely talk to your doctor.

Honored Contributor

I use True Cinnamon from Swanson, it is from Ceylon, I take 3 daily with meals.

Respected Contributor

Costco makes a good one:

Screen Shot 2017-11-16 at 3.58.17 PM.png

It is on "instant coupon" through Nov. 22

It gets great reviews too!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have blood sugar issues but I do take chromium which is a mineral. 200mg. One am & one pm w/food. Also gives me energy.

I tried Lessman's Cinnamon. Good product but too potent for me so I went back to chromium.

Honored Contributor

I was on metformin for years, as time passed i had so many stomach issues, one day i called my doctors office, the nurse went to talk to the doctor ,he said stop the medication and see if that helped, it did ,i know take cinnamon, it helps but my numbers are now increasing,so i keep putting off going back to the doctor.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Phillygurrl wrote:

Why mess with hocus pocus stuff when you are receiving good care?  Your doctor put you on regimen and it's working for you.  You're doctor is pleased with your progress.  Why aren't you?   If you really want to do more, skip the herbs and add some exersize into the mix.  

I really hate to see posters chastised for asking questions about other people's experiences with something.

It is quite evident by the post that she has sought medical attention, and has followed doctor's advice, even when it made her very sick. IT isn't like she is looking for advice that she will follow without medical consult.

Doctors are not gods, and they aren't nutritionists either. Most know little about nutrition and supplements and both are very important,  sometimes much more so than drugs, in maintaining or regaining good health. 

Supplements are not hocus pocus. They do require someone with knowledge and training to supervise use oftentimes, but can be a very valuable part of a person's health and well being. 

Shaming posters for asking questions is out of line, as is being flippant about their situation. Pleased with progress isn't the same thing as being as good as it can be, and I applaud OP for looking for other ways to make her health as good as it can be, independent of just one doctor's advice.

Contributor

Thank you all, especially mominohio, for your input.  It is always helpful to hear of the experience of others .  I am trying very hard to behave myself, and follow my doctor’s advice.   Not easy for this carb lover, lol!