Super Contributor

So many plans for emergencies!

No wonder everyone is on edge.  All the messages seem to be about disasters.  Some one is going to rob your house...get a security system.  You're going to be stranded without food...get  supply that has a shelf life of 25 years.  Someone is going to steal your identity...pay us to monitor your life.   You are going to lose your electrical service...buy a generator.   Someone is going to shoot you...buy a gun.

It's one thing to be prepared, but things have really gotten out of control.  We need to learn how to enjoy life instead of always trying to control things.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: So many plans for emergencies!

I have an extensive earthquake prepairdness kit. I mean, I'm talking about being on my own for weeks, if not longer.

Now, do I worry about that happening?

NO

But, if the worst were to happen, I'm ready.

Respected Contributor

They are all just vendors trying to sell their product.  Relax and ignore them.  Unless you're in the market for a generator, etc.

Respected Contributor

@excpa wrote:

We need to learn how to enjoy life instead of always trying to control things.

IMO, most people do this.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

It's replaced the lecture your mon gave you about wearing clean underwear because you might be in an accident and wind up in the ER.

Honored Contributor

I grew up with earthquake drills in school and I know my moms generation grew up with bomb threats where they practiced hiding under desks. It's not anything new. We've been stranded from flooding ( our house was surrounded by water) and from snow. Liked through earthquakes where the power went out. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!

Honored Contributor

Just turn the tv off.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@excpa wrote:

No wonder everyone is on edge.  All the messages seem to be about disasters.  Some one is going to rob your house...get a security system.  You're going to be stranded without food...get  supply that has a shelf life of 25 years.  Someone is going to steal your identity...pay us to monitor your life.   You are going to lose your electrical service...buy a generator.   Someone is going to shoot you...buy a gun.

It's one thing to be prepared, but things have really gotten out of control.  We need to learn how to enjoy life instead of always trying to control things.

@excpa

???     This has nothing to do with "control" and everything to do with SURVIVAL.     Example ... every year people freeze to death in cars because they don't have even a few basics in case they get caught in a snow storm.   A car emergency kit would have saved their lives.

Thinking about recent news reports, there's really nothing people can do if a hurricane blows your house away, but you couldn't miss that most people had NOTHING to deal with stuck in their houses for several days as the result of storms.  No canned goods, no toilet paper, no drinking water .....  nothing!   

I realize that people don't have unlimiited money or storage space, everyone can think ahead and do what they can with the resources they have.    That's just called using common sense!

JMO

Respected Contributor

I think smart people prepare. 

In case you haven't noticed, the world is insane. It's fine if people live in Candyland, & prefer to be "positive", rather than "negative".

I don't see it as negative, I see it as "truth". It's right in front of our faces....every day, all day long. WAKE UP!!