Honored Contributor

Re: Chipmunk Went In My Dryer Vent

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@NickNack  Did you get  the chipmunk out of vent yet?  Just curious!

@SeaMaiden  No, but I looked at my vent.  One of the slats at the top has broken off, so that's how he jumped in.  I'm going to buy a new vent cover tonight at Lowe's.  I'm going out to dinner and will do that before dinner.  Then I will get something long and see if I can find the chipmunk.  If I can't I will have to get a handyman to do it.  I don't want my clothes to start smelling like dead chipmunk if it's still in there!

@NickNack  PLEASE DO NOT DRY ANY CLOTHES until you know he is gone!🙁

@SeaMaiden  No I won't.  I'm hoping he somehow got out.  I'll call the handyman tomorrow if I don't find the chipmunk.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@tishkins wrote:

My vents are on side of house n high up. We used to get birds in there to nest. We went to Lowe's or home depot and bought plastic covers that are like a cage to go over the vent opening . No more little critters in vent

@tishkins

My sister had that problem with birds building nests in her vent and she had to have that done too and birdsin her chimney too....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack

If you have a wild life organization in your area they might be able to help or give you suggestions on what to do about getting the chipmunk out---GOOD LUCK!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack  Any resolution re: chipmunk??  Did he escape the dryer vent??

Honored Contributor

@aggravated wrote:

@NickNack  Any resolution re: chipmunk??  Did he escape the dryer vent??

@aggravated  I looked behind the outside vent cover and didn't see the chipmunk.  Then I turned the dryer on air only so maybe the air would push him out through the open vent.  I didn't watch to see if he escaped, but there's no sign of him.  I'll bet he got out at some point.  

I did buy a new vent cover and put it on today.  The one that he got through had the top slat missing.  I hadn't realized that had happened.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@NickNack I replaced my old dryer vent that was more open  for letting cold air ...mice😮etc... for one that stays closed when not in use and opens only when drying clothes.

Here are some different kinds.....mine looks like the white one in the center. Home Depot has a nice selection.961B08E3-F74D-40F5-BC27-72620879BEF8-70747-00004174797A9648.jpeg

Thanks the one that I have, too, @SeaMaiden.  I was surprised the chipmunk got in it so easily.  Maybe the flaps don't stay closed very well anymore.

@NickNack   Wow! That must have been one inquizative chipmunk!  Well I guess I stand corrected LOL! Maybe buy one with a mesh closure since you have some mighty smart little chipmunks Smiley Happy

I have a chipmunk problem at my house too.  I'm continually trying to keep them from burrowing underneatht the area where the driveway intersects the garage.  I can tell you, unless it's more like hardware cloth, the little beasties can chew right through it.

I had one recently that somehow got between two recycle bins nested in each other on their sides.  After I managed to get him dumped out he seemed stunned or something and I had a hard time getting him to leave the porch.  He only went down a couple of steps and then just sat there for awhile.  I noticed afterwards there was about a quarter+ sized chew hole in the recycle bin.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack

I know you love animals, and will watch out for the little fellow.

On another note, we used to see them in abundance, we have many, many Oaks, Hickory, and Walnut trees,  but NO chipmunks 🐿.

Miss them... 😞 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@NickNack

On another note, we used to see them in abundance, we have many, many Oaks, Hickory, and Walnut trees,  but NO chipmunks 🐿.

Miss them... 😞 

@Drythe  I only ever see one chipmunk.  I guess it's the  same one that got in the dryer vent.  I do hope it escaped.  I was going to call a handyman today to help, but I feel like surely it got out and didn't want to spend over $100 for nothing.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@NickNack

Miss them... 😞 

I wonder what happened to them? @Drythe

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

This happened to me once. The poor thing came in through the outside into my dryer but I didn't know it.  I put my hands in the dryer to pull out the dried clothes and the chipmunk was dead in my dryer.  Smiley Sad

Did you scream bloody murder?? What a shock that must have been. If my vent flapper broke off and one went into it, it would have a roller coaster straight downhill ride to the bottom (washer/dryer in basement) then could go into the dryer itself but thank heavens no direct route into the drum without running into a metal criss cross thing on the back wall of the drum where the hot air gets expelled. Don't think they can chew through metal. My thingy you clean the lint off of is a long screen, handle on top of dryer, a determined one might though be able to somehow push that up and use it as an escape route. Of course then there would be a chipmunk running around the basement.