Regular Contributor

Re: Chipmunk Went In My Dryer Vent

My vents are on side of house n high up. We used to get birds in there to nest. We went to Lowe's or home depot and bought plastic covers that are like a cage to go over the vent opening . No more little critters in vent

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This happened to me once. The poor thing came in through the outside into my dryer but I didn't know it.  I put my hands in the dryer to pull out the dried clothes and the chipmunk was dead in my dryer.  Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

Thanks everyone.  The problem with me getting behind my dryer is that I have a very tight closet for my washer and dryer.  There's no way I could pull the dryer out and get behind it.  It's even hard getting it in there when I buy a new one.  I think I may get a handyman to come and do it for me and install a vent with a better flapper.  I do have the flapper on the vent, but apparently it doesn't stay closed since the chipmunk got in.

A couple of summers ago every time I went to put clothes in my dryer it was wet in there. Someone clued me in to go check my flapper outside. Sure enough so much lint had built up just inside and around the opening that the flapper wasn't able to close all the way and somehow the wicked summer humidity was causing the problem. As soon as I cleaned off and picked out as much as I could the flapper closed all the way and that was the end of that problem. Soooo, if you have a flapper check to make sure it's not being prevented from completely closing due to lint accumulating around the opening.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

This happened to me once. The poor thing came in through the outside into my dryer but I didn't know it.  I put my hands in the dryer to pull out the dried clothes and the chipmunk was dead in my dryer.  Smiley Sad

@Lipstickdiva  I was afraid of that happening, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

NickNack, this happened to me years ago.  Unbeknownst to me, a chipmunk got into the dryer hose.  Every time I dried my clothes, there would be this horrible smell.  My husband took the hose out and sure enough, there was a dead chipmunk in there.  We cleaned it out and installed vent covers.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@NickNack I replaced my old dryer vent that was more open  for letting cold air ...mice😮etc... for one that stays closed when not in use and opens only when drying clothes.

Here are some different kinds.....mine looks like the white one in the center. Home Depot has a nice selection.961B08E3-F74D-40F5-BC27-72620879BEF8-70747-00004174797A9648.jpeg

Thanks the one that I have, too, @SeaMaiden.  I was surprised the chipmunk got in it so easily.  Maybe the flaps don't stay closed very well anymore.

@NickNack   Wow! That must have been one inquizative chipmunk!  Well I guess I stand corrected LOL! Maybe buy one with a mesh closure since you have some mighty smart little chipmunks Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@NickNack  I just thought of this  Go to the vent and open it so Mr/Ms Chipmunk can see day light to exit.  Then if you can; (I am in the same situation as you with a closeted laundry area) try and get something with a long handle and reach behind the dryer to give the vent hose a few gentle wacks.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack  Did you get  the chipmunk out of vent yet?  Just curious!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SeaMaiden  No, but I looked at my vent.  One of the slats at the top has broken off, so that's how he jumped in.  I'm going to buy a new vent cover tonight at Lowe's.  I'm going out to dinner and will do that before dinner.  Then I will get something long and see if I can find the chipmunk.  If I can't I will have to get a handyman to do it.  I don't want my clothes to start smelling like dead chipmunk if it's still in there!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SeaMaiden  No, but I looked at my vent.  One of the slats at the top has broken off, so that's how he jumped in.  I'm going to buy a new vent cover tonight at Lowe's.  I'm going out to dinner and will do that before dinner.  Then I will get something long and see if I can find the chipmunk.  If I can't I will have to get a handyman to do it.  I don't want my clothes to start smelling like dead chipmunk if it's still in there!

@NickNack  PLEASE DO NOT DRY ANY CLOTHES until you know he is gone!🙁