Honored Contributor

I order from Chewy all the time.... the reason??  Because Petco has stopped carrying some of the things I like to get for our little Princess who chews like an alligator.  And recently I've been getting cat food for my son because Petco's prices are too high.  

I'm not happy hearing this.....  but I'll give them a chance..... Woman Frustrated

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

My dogs eat Orijen Food.  I purchase it from a small mom and pop local pet store where it is much cheaper than Chewy's prices.

While I was in Florida in February, I purchased Orijen from another small store and it was cheaper than Chewy there too.

instead of going to the big box pet store, check prices at local small pet stores.

Yes - this!

I get it that some foods are hard to find in stores or the bags are heavy. But try patronizing your local pet or feed store before they disappear too. One of the feed stores we patronize must have at least 50 different brands of dry and wet pet foods, from low-end to premium; it's mind-boggling.

Honored Contributor

I kind of figured something was up with Chewy as they have been offering big discounts recently. A lot of Internet companies get started up these days not to succeed and make money, but to aggregate a lot of customers and then sell out to an Amazon, Wal-Mart or other large national retailer. It's becoming the modern way to get rich.

When you see a company offering insanely low prices, they're typically trying to add as many customers as possible to make them more attractive to a buyer. If you own a small business with ten thousand customers and you're making a small profit, you're not that attractive as a buy out. If you've got ten million customers, even if you're losing money, you start to look a lot better. The company looking to buy you out will see your customer base as new customers they don't have to recruit. They'll figure out a way to make money off those customers later, but they want those loyal customers in their pocket.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

By the way, another pet related company that may be trying to build a large customer base to make them more attractive as a takeover target is Pet Solutions. They've been offering some really good prices and offer $20 shipping on live fish orders. That's well below the industry standard of $40+ for shipping for live fish. Don't be shocked to hear them being bought out by someone in the not too distant future.

There's some serious consolidation going on in the retail pet industry these days and a lot of the smaller guys are being bought up. Likely buyers of Pet Solutions would be Petsmart, Petco,  Live Aquaria.com, or even possibly a Walmart, Target, or Amazon.

As a consumer we can benefit in the short term by companies selling products for a loss to build a large customer base that they can then use to make them more attractive to a buyer, but in the long term we lose as the competition all gets absorbed and there is no real pricing challenger.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

ONCE Again ... long-live Chewy. 

Two days ago I ran out of my cats prescription dry food. I immediately ordered a bag from Chewy because it is half the price that is at the vet. 

I have put up with 24 hours of MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW ...  But today, a DAY after I ordered it ... it arrived. 

All hail Chewy. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Valued Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

Two days ago I ran out of my cats prescription dry food. I immediately ordered a bag from Chewy because it is half the price that is at the vet. 

I have put up with 24 hours of MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW MEOW ...  But today, a DAY after I ordered it ... it arrived. 

All hail Chewy. 

Lol!

That's a lotta meowing!😺

We order from Chewy as well. All hail indeed!

Great service, prices, variety. Hope it stays that way.

Respected Contributor

@esmeesmerelda wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

All hail Chewy. 

Lol!

That's a lotta meowing!😺

We order from Chewy as well. All hail indeed!

Great service, prices, variety. Hope it stays that way.

Oh my Lord. That isn't the half of it!  He was RELENTLESS!  He prefers his crunchies to his canned food and the little prince was NOT having it!  He stayed up ALL night just to torture us. Lol. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )