Respected Contributor

Re: Charitable donations

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 

I  usually just scroll on by the longer posts, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading yours. I know that you truly get satisfaction from being so generous. Others certainly do benefit as well of course. You set an example for us all. You are right, it’s important to be generous all year long. However I’m sure some organizations depend on end of the year donations to survive. 

Giving locally is great, I like to do that. I also donate to environmental Organizations because once our planet is unlivable, it won’t matter who lives in a tent and who lives in a mansion.

EDITED to add

people can check the rating of charities on Charity Navigator. 

Children typically bring Christmas gifts to their teachers. My friend who teaches elementary school tells children if they want to bring a gift, they can bring something for the local animal shelter like bag of dog kibble, cat litter, pet store gift card, etc.  The kids bring these things and my friend takes them down to the shelter. 

Respected Contributor

@In-x-s wrote:

I hope I can put my thoughts into type as this has bothered me all day.  On this mornings news program was the suggestion that kids go through and donate 5 old toys to make room for their new gifts they will get for Christmas and how it's important to show them there are those in need to donate to.

YES, I believe it's important to teach kids there are less fortunate and donating is a good thing.  However, I don't think it should be about just donating  your old "stuff" that you no longer what.  I work in a place that gets donations for homeless shelters and some seem to think that their old stuff that is no longer "good enough" for them should be appreciated by those less fortunate.  To me it is degrading and if I wouldn't use it myself, I wouldn't donate it to someone less fortunate.

Thanks for letting me just vent!

I donate gently used items because I feel better about recycling than throwing away and if someone else can get use out of it, all the better.  I don't do it because those less fortunate should appreciate my cast-offs!

My rule is that if is something new I would want then I'll donate.

I never donate anything that is old and/or used up, especially for children.

Having grown up poor I remember receiving something (a jacket) that a relative gave me; she told me she pulled it from the garbage.

It looked it and went back into the garbage.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, beautiful post.  Just one thing to add:

When I was healthy I gave the gift of my time.  I had a big job and worked hard probably sixty hours a week and I had a social life LOL but I felt very blessed for what I had and volunteered for many hours a week.  Everyone with whom I worked was dying and died.  It wasn't easy but I have a touch for that (you do or you don't, no fault either way) and I used it. 

I could write three books about my experiences (and in fact I appear in a book about volunteers)  but in the end as always happens I got more than I gave.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Charitable donations

[ Edited ]

@twinsister, thank you so much for saying I'm a wonderful daughter.  I fall far short of my ideals.  There are ways in which she's healthier than I am and ways in which she's not -- I never intended to be mom's caretaker but life had other plans for me. 

Due to the unexpected deaths of two people very close to me within a few months of one another and the deterioration of my health, my sister, who was my best friend, talked me into coming down to Florida so she could give me love and TLC.  I always hated Florida and would tease her for living here, that they picked the worst place possible to live LOL. 

And then as I was making plans to go back up north to a place I love,, my sister got sick and died (I miss her like a phantom limb) and I could not bring myself to leave mom.  I'm all she has.  It isn't easy.  But I know I did the right thing no matter how little she acknowledges it.   I guess this is my volunteer work now.

Respected Contributor

I used to drop off canned goods and such for local food banks until I visited one and saw shelves filled.  After asking one of the volunteers what else do they need, they replied: protein in form of meats and dairy.

i now send checks throughout the year for several local food banks to purchase meats and dairy for my neighbors. Too, I give to the larger metropolitan food distribution center.

it would haunt me to eat dinner knowing that neighbors were going hungry.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

My rule of thumb for donating is:

If I needed to shop at Goodwill, Purple Heart or any local thrift shop, would I want to wear/use this item? If the answer is NO, then it goes to the dump. So, anything that has holes, stains that won't come out, a wonky fit (poorly made so no one ever wore it) or doesn't work/has broken parts is not going to be donated.

Because I have all boys, I made sure that the I bought the best quality I could with the eldest so the items could be passed down. It's been 20 years and winter coats are still being worn by the youngest, lol. After he grows out of it, I'll check it over and then decide but so far, it still looks great. If I think my child should wear it, then why not allow another child to get good use out of it?  

Respected Contributor

i appreciate the reminder to think of the homeless.  here in L A the size of the population has rocketed the last 5 - 10 years.  i too contribute to canned food drives - but am taking note of the good use a check is put to as well.  for me those donation letters go to the top of my "to pay" pile this time of year especially -  the holidays are so enhanced by sharing with those who really need it.

Honored Contributor

For as many people who will go to a food bank or take something for nothing there are those who will not. I have heard from friends who know people who will not accept food, heat or warm coats and shoes for their children if they can't afford them. I had the kind of father who would take anything that was free and he worked full time all his life. It was so embarrassing, not that we didn't need it or couldn't use it, we would rather do without it than be considered the working poor. Poor, meant you were too dumb to make a good living and we didn't want to be considered dumb.