Valued Contributor

I hope I can put my thoughts into type as this has bothered me all day.  On this mornings news program was the suggestion that kids go through and donate 5 old toys to make room for their new gifts they will get for Christmas and how it's important to show them there are those in need to donate to.

YES, I believe it's important to teach kids there are less fortunate and donating is a good thing.  However, I don't think it should be about just donating  your old "stuff" that you no longer what.  I work in a place that gets donations for homeless shelters and some seem to think that their old stuff that is no longer "good enough" for them should be appreciated by those less fortunate.  To me it is degrading and if I wouldn't use it myself, I wouldn't donate it to someone less fortunate.

Thanks for letting me just vent!

I donate gently used items because I feel better about recycling than throwing away and if someone else can get use out of it, all the better.  I don't do it because those less fortunate should appreciate my cast-offs!

Esteemed Contributor

I agree. I guess if its an "old" toy that was hardly used and in new condition it would be one thing. I do know that when my children were young, I would go thru there toys and donate those to one of our local charities.

I hate to think of a child getting an old, broken or stinky used toy for Christmas, honestly. How depressing.

Valued Contributor

@happycat wrote:

I agree. I guess if its an "old" toy that was hardly used and in new condition it would be one thing. I do know that when my children were young, I would go thru there toys and donate those to one of our local charities.

I hate to think of a child getting an old, broken or stinky used toy for Christmas, honestly. How depressing.

Thank you @happycat.  It isn't that I'm against donating anything no longer wanted it was more about that to me generosity isn't giving of what I no longer want but of giving even if I don't have! That is what I would like to see taught to the children.

Honored Contributor

My husband who was a small child back in the 40's and early 50's told me he and his brother used to get their rich cousins old toys at Xmas time and they greatly appreciated it. I don't think kids back then anyway cared if the toys were brand new or not, they were just glad to have something of their own to play with. I know we didn't have much at Xmas either and I was embarassed to tell my friends who had so much, that we had so little. I used to lie and say my parents gave me 100 dollars to buy what I wanted.

Honored Contributor

A good reminder for the season and all year.

Great to pass on what we aren't using any longer, but be sure it still has value.

What people need to be aware of is that most toy drives only want new items, and that clearing out and teaching children to give some of their older toys away should most likely be directed to places like Goodwill or other places that put them out for sale in their thrift stores. 

I think a lot of people assume the toy drives they see at the holiday season will be happy with used toys and many won't take them. 

Esteemed Contributor

There is nothing wrong with donating what you no longer want.Of course you wouldn’t donate clothes or toys that are worn out or broken.

When my son was young I used to have him go through his toys once a year & pull out what he no longer wanted. These items were like new.We would then take them down to a local donation center.

It means the world for kids who have very little to be given used toys.These kids don’t care that the items aren’t new.All they care about is that someone gave them toys!! The look on their little faces is priceless!!

Several times a year my son,DH & myself go through our closets & weed out what we no longer want.These items are donated to local donation centers.People who otherwise couldn’t afford nice clothes get an opportunity to dress well & feel good about themselves.I think that’s a win all around!!

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

In Insted of donations, my family is cooking two 23 lb turkeys, trays of dressing, greenbean casseroles.  We live in Florida and we have so many homeless.  We aren't wealthy but have chosen small soft toys for children 5 and under.  We will be going to an area where families live in tents, many many of them.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Fiero Woman wrote:

In Insted of donations, my family is cooking two 23 lb turkeys, trays of dressing, greenbean casseroles.  We live in Florida and we have so many homeless.  We aren't wealthy but have chosen small soft toys for children 5 and under.  We will be going to an area where families live in tents, many many of them.  

@Fiero Woman That’s awesome!! Hunger is something that personally drives me crazy.I send checks to my local food bank several times a year. No one in a country of such abundance should ever go to bed hungry!!

Valued Contributor

SWe have several tent cities here on the space coast.  It is just awful.  It is warm now with no rain; however, no food for the children.  So many homeless, foodbanks can't keep up

Valued Contributor

Young children do not get fed at school.