Respected Contributor

@debc wrote:

I read that Zimbabwe alone brings in an average of 20 million dollars a year for hunting.  South Africa over 700,000 and Africa as a whole around 100,000,000.  They are not giving that up because a bunch of neurotic Americans don't like.   I wouldn't even be surprised if the 'arrest' was fake just to appease tourists, they lifted the hunting ban less than 2 weeks after Cecil was killed.  While he was an attraction, a lot of locals never even heard of him. The fact that he was radio collared make it a shame for research. What about the 700 other lions that were killed?  Amazing what giving a lion a name will do.

Also when you are hunting predators, you bait them, people act like they targeted Cecil, any lion could have followed to the bait.  Watch a couple North Woods Law, they bait and kill bears all the time.

I personally don't think much of sport hunting, but it's been around for hundreds of years.  As long as it's profitable it will be for another 100 years.

Feel free to rant on, I know you will.  LOL

I love how one picture denotes what the guy is thinking.  Do you smile at every second?   I don't think he's a very honorable man, but this persecution is sicker than he is.

Where did you read that a "lot of locals" never heard of Cecil?  I would be interested to read that article.

I'm not sure how you equate baiting big game as in leaving a kill out in the open to draw the game with tying a carcass onto a truck in order to lure a prize animal out of a preserve.  Do you not get the difference here?

Fact is, there is no reason other than selfishness and a need to show dominion over other species for trophy hunting. 

Yes, a lot of attention is being paid to a "lion with a name". Yes, many other lions and other species are being slaughtered for no good reason.  I prefer to think that this one "lion with a name" was a wake up call that put the dreadful hobby of trophy hunting in the spotlight. Some changes have already occurred becauseof it.  That will be Cecil's legacy.

~Enough is enough~
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC, inappropriate

Respected Contributor

@debc wrote:

I read that Zimbabwe alone brings in an average of 20 million dollars a year for hunting.  South Africa over 700,000 and Africa as a whole around 100,000,000.  They are not giving that up because a bunch of neurotic Americans don't like.   I wouldn't even be surprised if the 'arrest' was fake just to appease tourists, they lifted the hunting ban less than 2 weeks after Cecil was killed.  While he was an attraction, a lot of locals never even heard of him. The fact that he was radio collared make it a shame for research. What about the 700 other lions that were killed?  Amazing what giving a lion a name will do.

Also when you are hunting predators, you bait them, people act like they targeted Cecil, any lion could have followed to the bait.  Watch a couple North Woods Law, they bait and kill bears all the time.

I personally don't think much of sport hunting, but it's been around for hundreds of years.  As long as it's profitable it will be for another 100 years.

I love how one picture denotes what the guy is thinking.  Do you smile at every second?   I don't think he's a very honorable man, but this persecution is sicker than he is.

Neurotic Americans? This is world wide and growing as is other anti abuse against animals. So make your snarky remarks since you think it is crazy to have compassion for an innocent animal. The justifacation of killing any animal is wrong.

Respected Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@debc wrote:

Where did you read that a "lot of locals" never heard of Cecil?  I would be interested to read that article.

I'm not sure how you equate baiting big game as in leaving a kill out in the open to draw the game with tying a carcass onto a truck in order to lure a prize animal out of a preserve.  Do you not get the difference here?

Fact is, there is no reason other than selfishness and a need to show dominion over other species for trophy hunting. 

Yes, a lot of attention is being paid to a "lion with a name". Yes, many other lions and other species are being slaughtered for no good reason.  I prefer to think that this one "lion with a name" was a wake up call that put the dreadful hobby of trophy hunting in the spotlight. Some changes have already occurred becauseof it.  That will be Cecil's legacy.

The internet is your friend.  If I can find it so can everyone else.  I've read it more than once.  Most of the outrage posted on the internet is copy and pasted over and over, no new stories there.

It is exactly the same thing.  Any lion could have come to the 'bait'.  I can only guess they put it on the vehicle so it's easier to move around.

They're already hunting in Africa, so where's the big change?   It certainly wouldn't bother me if it was stopped, but I don't see it happening, but I just can't wish death on one man who did what thousands are doing.  Talking like that is insane, are we going to wish death on all of them?  I guess some will, I find that sad.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@debc wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@debc wrote:

The internet is your friend.  If I can find it so can everyone else.  I've read it more than once.  Most of the outrage posted on the internet is copy and pasted over and over, no new stories there.

It is exactly the same thing.  Any lion could have come to the 'bait'.  I can only guess they put it on the vehicle so it's easier to move around.

They're already hunting in Africa, so where's the big change?   It certainly wouldn't bother me if it was stopped, but I don't see it happening, but I just can't wish death on one man who did what thousands are doing.  Talking like that is insane, are we going to wish death on all of them?  I guess some will, I find that sad.

That's pretty much what I thought. You "heard" it somewhere.  

Thanks for the response anyway.

~Enough is enough~