Super Contributor

We have a terrier dog and a male cat. They tolerate each other and basically have no issues between them. 

About a month ago, we rescued a young female cat from the country. We took her to the vet for a checkup and shots.

She and the dog don’t have any problems, but the male cat seems to hate her.  He crouches and hisses at her a lot and occasionally will try to pick a fight.

Is this normal, and will he eventually become friendly with her? A friend said they would eventually become buddies, but it’s not looking too promising.

Secondly, the female makes terrible noises. I’ve been awake since before four because of her noises. I would think she is sick or in pain but she’s been to the vet and she is eating well.

We’ve never had a female cat and I’m wondering if there is a learning curve with them,

Lastly, since getting our first cat, the dog is terrible at peeing in the house. Drives me nuts. Is he doing this to cover the cat’s scent?  The dog is 14 years old and didn’t have this issue before the cat came to live with us. I don’t think it’s an age related problem.

I need help with this problem.

im sincerely asking for knowledge and advice,

Please don’t blast me. We are giving these animals a good home. They are just annoying at times.

TIA, 

Demitra

Valued Contributor

I have never had cats but a friend did and she also had trouble.  She kept them separated in the beginning for periods of time and kept them together for short periods to get them used to each other.  She was able to increase the time together and finally they got used to each other.  If they were keeping me awake I would make that time apart.  Her cats finally tolerated each other but were never really friendly.

Honored Contributor

My girlfriend had 5 cats. And when she introduced a new cat into the group, she did it slowly. The new cat had a certain section of the house all to themselves for a week or so. Then she introduced the new cat to each cat individually to see how they reacted. She would let the cats slowly "introduce" themselves. She would leave a door open and they would see how things went.

Most of the time, it was just fine and dandy. But her one cat never did seem to like any of the other cats. So she just kept her away from the other cats. It was a slow process but she made it work. And she would try and get the unsocial one to warm up to the rest. Did not happen.

Maybe your new cat is not quite comfortable yet in her new surroundings. And that is why she is making noises. To keep the male cat away.

And maybe your dog is trying to mark his territory. I know some dogs "have nothing left" but try and mark their territory when you take them for walks.

It is a new living arrangement and they are trying to adjust in their own way.

Super Contributor

Thank you for rescuing the kitty.  I don’t have expertise, only a bit of anecdotal history.  Dogs and cats usually do well together, as long as the dog isn’t a true cat hater.  Some become very good friends.  Cats can be more problematic.  Maybe because they tend to be loners.  I’ve known a family who had to wall off a segment of their house so that two cats who had lived together nicely for years would no longer be able to encounter each other after one became extremely vicious with the other.  

As a previous poster noted, isolation with gradual introduction is often recommended when new cats or dogs are brought home.   You could still try to do that now.  Your dog’s issue could be anxiety related to what’s going on between the two cats, in addition to having a new pet in the house.  Don’t let anyone have full access to the whole house right now.  

If if you can, it would be good to consult with a good behaviorist for recommendations.  Maybe your vet can refer.  Or maybe your vet has enough expertise to guide you.  I am wishing you a happy, harmonious home for the new year!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cat and dog info needed

[ Edited ]

@Demitra1

Has the new cat been spayed???

She could be in heat.

Watch, "My Cat From Hell", with Jackson Galaxy.

1. Do site swapping.

Put one cat in one room, and let the other one roam the house.

Then at night time, switch.

Repreat the next day, and so on.

2. Also, put a blanket with the other cat's scent in the room with the cat.

This way, they'll get use to each other's smell.

3. When it comes to feeding, seperate them by about five feet, and have like a baby gate up in betwen them.

That way, they can see each other, but not be threatened by each other.

Then slowly, shorten the distance between the two.

This might take 6 weeks to do.

4. Also, create a "cat super highway", where the cats can jump up, and have a route of escape if they feel threatened.

cat super highway.jpg

5. play with the cats when they are in the same room together.

Get one of those strings on a stick toys and use that to play with them.

Wear them out to where they start to pant, that way, they won't have the energy to bother each other.

Do that daily.

Cat-Toys.jpg

Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Just some thoughts.  A dog peeing is ususallu marking his territory.  So yes he may be covering up the cat scent.

I have 7 cats so i know a little about the intro process.  First the new pet needs to get used to the sounds, scents; comong and goings, and feeding times of the home.  Thsi is all very new to them.  The need to be in a place that they know will be their safe place.  Each of my cats have their safe place and when they are upset; scared, sick or just want space to themselves they go there.  You dog will need on also.

Now it takes different amounts of time for socialization.  My oldest kitty Kenny, just goes for it.  While my 2 five year old females took 2-3 weeks to make up after the 1 week geeting used to the home.  My 2 1 1/2 year olds male and female took about 2 week and now I have 2 ferral kitties that are under a year and it took a week to make up with the kitties.  They are still trying to figure out the human connection.

I know some cats that take up to two or more months to get settled in.  A way to introduce the pets is to feed them between a barrier that they don't see each other but can smell each other.  You may have to start a couple or more feet away from the barrier.  Slowly, vey slowly get the bowls closer.  Then after a week of being very close to the door, let them see each other.  Thye will associate food with each other smells.

Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

Everyone has given you good advice about the slow introductions.

As far as your female kitty making terrible noises, I agree with PlaidPants 2 that she might be in heat.  Also, you said she's been to the Vet.  Did the Vet do blood work?  If not, I would definitely have blood work done.  She could have a kidney problem.  First I would determine if she's in heat.

I had a cat that had been spayed and then started making those noises that sounded like she was in heat.  I was going to a different Vet by that time who said that her spay may not have been done correctly and spayed her again.  That was the problem.    All of her reproductive organs had not been removed.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

Has your dog been neutered?

Also, while maybe not age-related, could be a kidney-related problem, just coincidence.  Perhaps ask your vet.

Honored Contributor

@Demitra1

Just a friendly suggestion, but you may get many more responses if you post this on the Pet Forum.Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.