Super Contributor
Do you take out insurance when you need a rental car. I was in an accident this morning and need to do the first rental car of my life. Any advice appreciated. Thanks
Super Contributor

@gellen  Check with your auto insurance. My auto insurance has rental car coverage should I need to rent.

Honored Contributor

When I had my accident, the insurance company supplied me with a rental car. My car went into the shop to be repaired. And the rental car was there waiting for me. I did not take any additional coverage.

I had the rental car for as long as the shop took to make the repairs. It was over a month.

Respected Contributor

Check to see if you would be covered by your current auto insurance.  Our policy covered us when we rented a car a couple of years ago.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

@gellen  Your credit card might cover collision, but probably not liability. Make sure to check your auto insurance/homeowners and AAA (if applicable) if you have liability.

Esteemed Contributor

I just checked with my sister and she said her personal auto insurance paid for it.

Esteemed Contributor

@gellen wrote:
Do you take out insurance when you need a rental car. I was in an accident this morning and need to do the first rental car of my life. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

@gellen 

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope  you're doing ok.

Respected Contributor

Yes!  Because if you're in a wreck with the rental car, you don't have the hassle of having to go through your own insurance.  You basically throw the rental company the keys, and they provide you a new one.  Easy Peasy and no issues.

Esteemed Contributor

My credit card covers most damages to a rental car so I usually waive it.

That said, when I read the fine print the total loss can be no more than $40k (totaled).

Be aware there may be limits if you are renting a pricey vehicle and it doesn't take much to get to $40k