Respected Contributor

Re: Cannot Distinguish People’s Age

I'm no good at it.  I keep my mouth shut.  I'm 65 and not an old looking 65 but no 50 either.  I tell my age to save any embarrassment to me.  I sure don't want to be guessed older or have someone say I thought you were older than that.  Ok as long as not judging by looks.  Lol

Esteemed Contributor

I was always pretty good at it though I do dislike it when someone asks me how old I think they are.  Sometimes I do fib so as not to hurt their feelings in case my guess is too high!  LOL

Honored Contributor

yeah, I'm lousy at that too.  But the other day I got to wondering what gives a person's age away?  What order?

Face as in wrinkles, hairdo, makeup, clothes, shoes?  I know what I believe, just by looking in the mirror.  Also,  for many years, the topic of a person's discussion sure told me a lot, and now, I'm probably in that group, that I drew my conclusions on.  

Respected Contributor

I'm still pretty good at judging age. Today I saw a photo of an actress that I have admired throughout her career.  Always a beauty. She recently had a few accidents so maybe that's why I couldn't even recognize her. She's several years younger than I am and when my hubby said her name I said No Way!  She has aged so much. Still beautiful and natural and I admire that about her. If he didn't tell me it was her I would have thought it was a much older actress. With younger people  20's-30's it's really easy for me. 

Honored Contributor

Over all, the population has changed a great deal.  People are living much longer.  Better health and nutrition.  Better economy offers cosmetics and makeup to mask aging. Exercising is standard rather then the the exception. So people now a days don't show their age as much.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Over all, the population has changed a great deal.  People are living much longer.  Better health and nutrition.  Better economy offers cosmetics and makeup to mask aging. Exercising is standard rather then the the exception. So people now a days don't show their age as much.

I think that is all true.  Attitudes about aging also play apart too.  My mom and her sister were beautiful, fashionable women who took care of their hair and their bodies but they bought into to the age thing in a way that just don't do anymore.  At 40, they were middle aged and began to dress "older".  At 50, they considered themselves to be matrons wore their hair up and eventually cut their hair because that was appropriate for women in their 50's.  That still dressed well but everything was based on what they deemed to be age appropriate.  All the women I knew were like that.  Every decade, they would deprive themselves of things that supposedly were not "age appropriate".  In those days (which wasn't that long ago), you really could look at a woman an tell if she was 40, 50, 60, 70 and over.  If a woman dressed "to young" for her age, she'd be disparaged or laughed at by other women.  Thankfully, that doesn't happen now.  We're free to be ourselves which means we can't look at a woman and immediately see that she is in her 40's, 50's etc.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@On It 

I was never one to guess a person's chronological age. My basis for age is more on one's physiological classification of age, along with sociological age(how one acts). Used to be easier to use the term "old or older man". Now since I am in my 80's?  Chronological age means even less.

john

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

The thing that gives away a person’s age first is their hand, IMO. I think I have my mother’s hands...no matter how much cream I put on them.
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
The thing that gives away a person’s age first is their hand, IMO. I think I have my mother’s hands...no matter how much cream I put on them.

Oh yeah!!!!