Esteemed Contributor

I love this horse, love his owners and love his owners story of his cookies. They really care about their horse tuning down $6,000,000 for part ownership before he even won the Derby.

Super Contributor
On 5/18/2014 Yuban3 said:

When you talk about nasal strips, do you mean something like "Breathe Right", but larger, and for horses?{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Yes.

Esteemed Contributor
On 5/18/2014 terrier3 said:

The rules at Belmont are a lot different re: allowed drugs and treatments.

The horse races with a nasal strip - that isn't allowed in NY State. I think Lasix is also not allowed...or other commonly used diuretics.

I just saw an interesting proposal from a trainer...move the races to 4 weeks apart each. Only a few Derby horses were in the Preakness...races too close together are very taxing on young horses.

It will be interesting to see what happens!

This is why very few win the Triple Crown. I would rather see the horses a year older before racing

Regular Contributor

I do not think the issue is that horses begin racing too young as much as it is what we've done to them through selective breeding.

Back in the 40's and 50's they used to say that the horses bred by Calumet Farms used to step off the trains looking like Sherman tanks. Big, strong, solid-boned. Not any more.

Somewhere along the line the industry stopped breeding sprinters and distance horses per se and began breeding them all to run just over a mile and then stagger home. A friend of mine who is still involved in the industry says they've had the bone bred right out of them.

Does anyone realize that Seabiscuit had something like 38 races as a 2 year old? That's more than most of these horses would race in 4 lifetimes. Doesn't seem to have bothered him.

As an aside, I don't think Australian standardbreds (trotters and pacers) race before they're 4 years old. Don't know about the thoroughbreds down there.

Trusted Contributor
I don't know very much about horses or horse racing, but gosh those racing horses are beautiful animals! And I love the CC story, and the owners, so I have to say I was rooting for him and will be hoping he wins the Triple Crown!
Valued Contributor

Esteemed Contributor
On 5/18/2014 boby said:

I do not think the issue is that horses begin racing too young as much as it is what we've done to them through selective breeding.

Back in the 40's and 50's they used to say that the horses bred by Calumet Farms used to step off the trains looking like Sherman tanks. Big, strong, solid-boned. Not any more.

Somewhere along the line the industry stopped breeding sprinters and distance horses per se and began breeding them all to run just over a mile and then stagger home. A friend of mine who is still involved in the industry says they've had the bone bred right out of them.

Does anyone realize that Seabiscuit had something like 38 races as a 2 year old? That's more than most of these horses would race in 4 lifetimes. Doesn't seem to have bothered him.

As an aside, I don't think Australian standardbreds (trotters and pacers) race before they're 4 years old. Don't know about the thoroughbreds down there.

Sorry, but I disagree with you. I have owned & ridden horses all my life & use to work the stables at Santa Anita in the late 60's. Horses do not develop their bones fully until 4 yrs or older which is why race horses are retired at 5 or 6 years. Many are lame. Many are put down at a young age because of it.

Super Contributor
On 5/18/2014 PinkSugar said:
On 5/18/2014 boby said:

Sorry, but I disagree with you. I have owned & ridden horses all my life & use to work the stables at Santa Anita in the late 60's. Horses do not develop their bones fully until 4 yrs or older which is why race horses are retired at 5 or 6 years. Many are lame. Many are put down at a young age because of it.

I agree. When we purchased our latest horse she was 1 yr, 9 months old. My daughter couldn't ride her for a year. Last year when she was 3, she could show her under saddle however she had to be careful and limit the amount of strenuous activities. Now she's 4 and can do about anything, but she is still growing and will continue to grow for a few more years. My daughter can't watch horse racing because she's so fearful because she is knowledgeable of what can go terribly wrong because of the developmental age of those horses. I wish they'd put age limits on the horses, for their own good.

Respected Contributor
On 5/17/2014 cody said:
On 5/17/2014 Mistic said:

An <em>$8,000</em> mare and a $2,000 stallion produces <em>California Chrome.</em>

<em>I love this story. One more time. GO CALIFORNIA CHROME!<br /></em>

..... I have never seen him use the crop in either race I have watched.......!

Then you need to watch again. They're all using crops to beat the opposite of heaven out of those horses, especially as they approach the finish line.

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

So many of these poor animals are sold off for meat. It is a terrible business.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/02/kentucky-derby-horsemeat-pipeline