Honored Contributor

The rules at Belmont are a lot different re: allowed drugs and treatments.

The horse races with a nasal strip - that isn't allowed in NY State. I think Lasix is also not allowed...or other commonly used diuretics.

I just saw an interesting proposal from a trainer...move the races to 4 weeks apart each. Only a few Derby horses were in the Preakness...races too close together are very taxing on young horses.

It will be interesting to see what happens!

Respected Contributor
On 5/18/2014 terrier3 said:

The horse races with a nasal strip - that isn't allowed in NY State. I think Lasix is also not allowed...or other commonly used diuretics.

I just saw an interesting proposal from a trainer...move the races to 4 weeks apart each. Only a few Derby horses were in the Preakness...races too close together are very taxing on young horses.

I agree.

Regular Contributor

Terrier: The use of Lasix is permitted in NY with the approval of a vet, but that is just a formality. I've never heard of a trainer requesting its administration and being turned down, and rumor is that some of the vets are more eager to use Lasix than the trainers, because they get about $30-40 per dose.

Lasix does have legitimate medicinal use (it is even given to humans to inhibit congestive heart failure) in that it inhibits bleeding under stress of racing, but it is a PED. Lasix use is noted in the racing form and track program, and "first time Lasix" (also noted in the form) almost always means an improved performance.

They don't use Lasix at all in Europe, and European trainers turn up their noses at European horses who are sold to race in the States and are put on a Lasix regimen.

The Breeders Cup people are trying to get away from its use (I don 't think they allow it for 2 year olds), but they're swimming against the tide.

Honored Contributor
On 5/18/2014 boby said:

Terrier: The use of Lasix is permitted in NY with the approval of a vet, but that is just a formality. I've never heard of a trainer requesting its administration and being turned down, and rumor is that some of the vets are more eager to use Lasix than the trainers, because they get about $30-40 per dose.

Lasix does have legitimate medicinal use (it is even given to humans to inhibit congestive heart failure) in that it inhibits bleeding under stress of racing, but it is a PED. Lasix use is noted in the racing form and track program, and "first time Lasix" (also noted in the form) almost always means an improved performance.

They don't use Lasix at all in Europe, and European trainers turn up their noses at European horses who are sold to race in the States and are put on a Lasix regimen.

The Breeders Cup people are trying to get away from its use (I don 't think they allow it for 2 year olds), but they're swimming against the tide.

I am with Europe on this issue.

Valued Contributor
On 5/18/2014 terrier3 said:

You are right terrier3 - no nasal strips, no Lasix or diuretics of any kind. New York is one of the stricter states when it comes to drugs and racehorses. That has been an issue for at least of couple of the previous Triple Crown contenders. Will be interesting to see how this affects CaliChrome. I haven't studied him (conformation-wise) or his pedigree, but if he comes from more old-fashioned bloodlines, there is a good chance he will be able to pull off the Belmont distance.

I am rooting for him to do well. It will be tough because there will be much fresher horses in this race, but that is what distinguishes a champion from just a good or even great horse. Secretariat had Sham to push him (go see the blazing times for their races, esp. the Belmont where poor Sham was finally worn out and finished last, no doubt due the incredible fractions he and Secretariat put in for the first 6 furlongs) If Secretariat had not been there, Sham would have been 1973 Triple Crown winner, but he was there and will be remembered as one of the greatest of all time. As great as Sham was, Secretariat was greater.

Edited to say: Whoops guess I am out of date on Lasix. I remember the controversy about it when NY said "no". I thought they were still tough on its usage. Sorry.

Respected Contributor
On 5/17/2014 mewsmomtoo said:
On 5/17/2014 cody said:
On 5/17/2014 kachina624 said: California Chrome is a good horse but whether he's a great horse remains to be seen. Truthfully his race times have been unremarkable and he hasn't had much serious competition. He picked a good year to try for the Triple Crown. There are no exceptional contenders.

So...where do you keep that pin that you burst bubbles with? Seriously, I doubt the horse "picked" this year. It is well accepted that the times in the Derby were slow. It is also well documented that the times today were better for all the horses. Should CC have run at full speed to outrun horses that were not even keeping up with him? I think not.

I am rooting for him in the Triple Crown. Gooooo California Chrome and Mr. Espinosa!!!!!

Secretariat did - he finished 31 lengths ahead of his nearest competition in the Belmont Stakes in what was a world record time for a mile and a half. His record time for the Kentucky Derby still stands, 41 years later. Some horses just have that fire in them.

Edited to say: This does not mean I'm not rooting for him. He is a gorgeous chestnut CALIFORNIA bred trained by a trainer I am familiar with (through reading his name on raceday programs, not personallySmile) and his story is the dream of anyone who has purchased or bred a racehorse at any level - absolute proof that with a good eye and A LOT of luck you too can have a Kentucky Derby winner and Triple Crown contender.

PS Just FYI - it is Espinoza

Thank you for the correction. Otherwise no one would have known that I was talking about the jockey that rides California Chrome.

Regular Contributor

Terrier: Me too. To their credit some racing jurisdictions are trying to get away from using Lasix, but then they find that the owners/trainers ship to where its use is virtually uninhibited.

Some trainers themselves would love to see it banned, but they are understandably reluctant to put themselves at a competitive disadvantage by being the only ones not using it.

John Veitch, who had trained for some of the most prestigious stables in the US, walked away from training and became a color commentator when, in his words, "Racing went from being my horse against your horse to my chemist against your chemist."

By the way, the rules for racing specifically at Belmont do not mention nasal strips at all, although there is some question whether State racing officials will allow California Chrome to use one. If they don't he may just skip the Belmont, and I don't think anyone wants that. The nasal strip issue had some effect in the decision to scratch I'll Have Another two years ago when the Triple Crown was on the line. Like you I do not believe in permissive medication, but when it comes to non-medicinal aids, I think these folks need to join the 21st century. I do think they allow the jockeys to wear them.

Esteemed Contributor

So exciting. A beautiful horse ridden by a wonderful jockey. I really hope they win the Belmont too. Finally, a Triple Crown again, hopefully. Keeping my fingers crossed. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor
On 5/18/2014 boby said:

By the way, the rules for racing specifically at Belmont do not mention nasal strips at all, although there is some question whether State racing officials will allow California Chrome to use one. If they don't he may just skip the Belmont, and I don't think anyone wants that. The nasal strip issue had some effect in the decision to scratch I'll Have Another two years ago when the Triple Crown was on the line. Like you I do not believe in permissive medication, but when it comes to non-medicinal aids, I think these folks need to join the 21st century. I do think they allow the jockeys to wear them.

Boby, ITA, there is nothing wrong with a nasal strip. They are used by other equine athletes who are governed by international bodies who are very strict about what horses are allowed to ingest or even wear; I hope the owners aren't seriously considering scratching him if he can't wear one. That would only give credence to the belief that he just got lucky in a weak year and that they know it. He would still be a winner, but a winner with an asterisk. Better to let him run and let the chips fall where they may. There is no disgrace in losing the Belmont (acute disappointment, yes, but no disgraceSmile)

Super Contributor

When you talk about nasal strips, do you mean something like "Breathe Right", but larger, and for horses?{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.