Honored Contributor

Re: CVS or Walgreens, Which do you prefer?

I've used both, but prefer CVS.  You can use CVS and manufacturer coupons on the same product and get extra bucks.  I get all kinds of free stuff.  You also get $5 rewards here and there when you hit a certain dollar amount spent.

I'm not crazy about the pharmacy.  They usually put the new people on the drive thru and they act like they are doing you a favor ringing you up.  I like seeing my prescriptions online.

Extra bucks is money back for buying something.  The items are advertised in the flyer.  Walgreens has it too, but they put it on your walgreens card.  CVS gives it to you on your register receipt.  If you lose your receipt, tough luck.  I think the expiration is 30 days.  They used to take them late, now they don't.

Honored Contributor

I shop at CVS..just because there are so many, close to me.  They took over all the Longs Drug Stores in CA. 

There is just one Walgreens in my shopping area..but when I'm in SF, they seem to be on every corner.  

I noticed last time I was in Target...their pharmacy is now CVS. 

Esteemed Contributor

RiteAid.
Respected Contributor

Walgreen's. To tell the truth I miss the pharmacies when they were individually owned - always great people and great service. Today things are a bit different. Although I will say when I was a kid in Raleigh, NC - a super long time ago - there was a Walgreen's and then never saw another one until about 10 years ago - they seem to be everywhere out here now and almost always at a corner location. Interesting.

Respected Contributor

CVS is closer. I think Walgreens might have a little more to choose from in the store though. I have never really have shopped online at either one. Walgreeens seems to have a few more people shopping in there though, CVS is always pretty dead. It would totally be a boring store to work at!! No people, elevator music, you could probably hear a pin drop!! Anyhow ... we get our RXs at CVS just because it is more "on the way" for us.

-Texas Hill Country-
Trusted Contributor

Rite Aid - CVS charges twice as much for the same scripts that I use. 

Honored Contributor

On the rare occasion when we need a prescription, we have it filled at CVS only because they have been around here long before Walgreens started popping up.

As far as their sale circulars, neither one of them ever have stock of what is on sale and we just gave up.

Respected Contributor

CVS but they will be leaving Tricare so will have to go elsewhere.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't get prescription medicines so I can't comment on that.  Walgreens does have better sales and the absolute clincher for me is that Walgreens has a check out person willing to ring out my pruchases.  CVS has self check out and even if you are standing at the checkout counter you are directed to the self check out.  It is a load of hooey that self check out is for OUR benifit.  MAYBE  I'd  be more inclined to believe that if I saw the money CVS saves on NOT hiring people reflected in dropped prices on their shelves since they have, in efffect,  turned ME into their check out person for free. so it's WALGREENS for me.

Honored Contributor

In my area I have a CVS and a Walgreens right next to each other, I prefer CVS, the Walgreens although well stocked has a different vibe about it I am not sure what, but it sort of reminds me more of Walmart, which I detest.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.