Honored Contributor

Re: CVS or Walgreens, Which do you prefer?

[ Edited ]

This area has CVS, Walgreen, and Rite-Aid; I deal strictly with CVS, which is 6 miles from my home.   I have known the head pharmacist there for nearly 40 years---long before he joined the CVS team.  The other 2 stores are much farther away, and not inside the main loop of town where I shop.   

I like the prices, selection, and quality of what I find at CVS, and will buy from this store before making a trip to Wal-Mart.  The only medications I get filled at CVS are antibiotics, and cremes prescribed by my dermatologist.   I have never waited more than 15 minutes for a prescription at this pharmacy.   Since the store is so close to me, the employees are always familiar faces from this community, so my shopping experience is often like visiting a friend.   

Honored Contributor

I MUST go to CVS because I use a specific medicine.  Each store buys their medicine from different manufacturers.  My body reacts when I purchase the medicine from CVS.  It's all about being used to the company they purchase this medicine from.  I couldn't figure out why I had different results when I was told, it's sometimes about the manufacturer each store buys the drug from.

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer Walgreen's, but I have to use CVS for my 3 month mail order RX's.  Dh gets a better deal with his Humana 3 month mail order RX's.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I MUST go to CVS because I use a specific medicine.  Each store buys their medicine from different manufacturers.  My body reacts when I purchase the medicine from CVS.  It's all about being used to the company they purchase this medicine from.  I couldn't figure out why I had different results when I was told, it's sometimes about the manufacturer each store buys the drug from.

Me too.  I can't take the generic for Uloric, so CVS is my required RX company.

Esteemed Contributor

Walgreens.

Respected Contributor

Our CVS has great coupons and they always greet you at the door.  My Walgreen's employees are just plain rude.

Honored Contributor

I never go into stores to shop....order everything online.

Esteemed Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

Currently, I like CVS because the staff is friendlier and our insurance offers a large percentage off of CVS brand products.

Walgreens has a larger assortment of products though.

Your thoughts, please.

Have gone plenty to both....prefer CVS

Honored Contributor

I have shopped at both but there were, and are, fewer Walgreens near me in about a 10/1 ratio. I have never used Walgreens pharmacy, but have never been thrilled with the CVS pharmacies. My experiences with CVS pharmacies have been many, MANY screw-ups caused by both employees and their computer database, and often fairly long waits for service.

I like browsing and shopping in Walgreens but that may be more a function of it just being unfamiliar and a different place to shop - I haven't shopped there a lot.

Almost every Rite-Aid I've been in has been a total pit.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

Only went to one Walgreens and felt that it needed to be cleaned.

Two CVS stores near me but I get my meds through mail service.  Loyalty rewards are nice but I always check my prices for a good deal.  They will honor certain expired coupons and the Extra Bucks never expire.

Got my Prevnar vaccine there one night: in and out very quickly...afternoons seem to be heavy wait periods.

@jlkz

What are Extra Bucks?