Respected Contributor

Re: CVS or Walgreens, Which do you prefer?

RXs are filled at CVS, too expensive at Walgreens. But Walgreens is local for me so there are some things I go there for, just not the RX. Those are at CVS/Target.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

I will say this about CVS. My husband passed out once in their drugstore. They couldn't have been nicer. They had someone drive him home, and also drive his car home

Honored Contributor

I went to grad school in Chicago and came to enjoy Walgreens...it's finally in my city in upstate NY.

I like them for their selection of items...I don't have to take medicine, but if I did, I'd like the drive thru feature.

Honored Contributor

I'm not in love with either of these businesses.  I've had bad experiences in both and have heard plenty of bad things about them, probably more about Walgreens.  I rarely go to either and use grocery store or Walmart pharmacies.  Get prescriptions by mail order.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Only went to one Walgreens and felt that it needed to be cleaned.

Two CVS stores near me but I get my meds through mail service.  Loyalty rewards are nice but I always check my prices for a good deal.  They will honor certain expired coupons and the Extra Bucks never expire.

Got my Prevnar vaccine there one night: in and out very quickly...afternoons seem to be heavy wait periods.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

I tend to dislike CVS. As Caremark they give me major grief over one of my meds.  Very inflexible and the CS people go by a script. 

As far as the bricks and mortar CVS stores, I don't like stores that offer discounts for "loyalty."

AND (this is silly but true) the Walgreen stores carry spearmint leaves candies, a vanishing bit of Americana.  AND, more importantly, I've been there a few times when I really needed help from the pharmacy, and the pharmacists have been great.  I do go to Walgreens if I have a question for a phamacist--Walgreens or my local Publix store. 

It could just be the store nearest me, but I don't get a good vibe from CVS.

@Burnsite

I will check for the spearmint leaves candies. I haven't heard of these before.

Honored Contributor

Doesn't matter.  I have a Walgreen's around the corner, and there are two CVS stores in walking distance.  I generally have to hit Walgreen's and CVS to find the products I want.  Neither carries full lines of all brands. Particularly my hair color and hairspray.  (I get my prescriptions by mail.)

Plus, around the corner from two of the CVS are Duane Reade drugstores.  In addition, there seems to be a privately owned drugstore every other block.  And, a medical supply store (wheelchairs, etc.,) three blocks away.

Lot of hospitals and medical offices in my area.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have come to really like WALGREENS.  Never thought I would, but they do get in the newest makeup right away and have fun things for all holidays.

I thought I would hate them because they are everywhere in SF, but I'm glad there is one nearby because there's always something we need.

I'm going to get my flu shot there, it's a long drive to see my MD and I just don't feel like making it when I can get it closer to home.

DOES ANYONE ELSE GET THEIR FLU SHOT AT WALGREENS?

There is only one CVS around that I know of and I didn't like the layout or what they had as well as Walgreens.

Honored Contributor

ps We get all our prescription meds at a hospital, so I can't comment on that area for either drugstore.

Regular Contributor

I shop  whatever chain has the item I am looking for at a sale price. With todays prices you have to shop around.  When you are retired it is easy to do.