Honored Contributor

I went to CVS this morning. I checked out the circular online and made out my list. They advertised Bounty paper towels and Charmin toilet paper on sale for $9.99 each. I'm not desperate for either one but thought I would buy them. Of course they had neither item in the store. Knowing how difficult it is to find both, why are they advertising them in the circular? I know the circular is printed in advance, but these items have been hard to come by for months, enough time to omit it from the circular.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2. I got crossways with Walgreens years ago for this exact same thing and completely quit shopping there.  At one time the Texas Attorney General filed suit against them for running "bait and switch".  They'd advertise these bargains but never have them on hand but when you got there, they'd have a big display of a similar, more expensive product.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2 Just a way to get people to come in to the store is what I'm thinking.

Esteemed Contributor

They probably sold out, and it takes time to print up a new circular.

Think about it, if they printed up a new circular as things sold out, they would be printing up new ones almost every day, and that's just wasting paper.

Plus, that circular covers more than just that one store.

It covers several CVS's, so just because one CVS is out-of-stock, doesn't mean that all of them are.

They don't print up a circular for each individual store.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

We have found that it depends on the day we go to CVS or Walgreens.  Some days the "specials" are gone but we check back on another day and they are there.  IMO it takes time to restock so I don't consider it a "scam" when an item is not available.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

In my experience, late truck or depleated stock, or, wasn't on the truck.  It happens.

Esteemed Contributor

Things sell out.  Everything is not a conspiracy.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I think most places (but not all) do have what is advertised but then people go to the store at the very first and then its gone. It does seem you have to get there the right day and right time.

They can always tell you when stock comes in and the best time to get it.

Just like gas stations, they say Tuesday is cheaper than Fri etc. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@Jordan2   Would they give you a raincheck?  And, as others suggested you might ask them if they expect to get some in, or more in, what day are they expecting it?

The CVS closest to me has a very good manager and very helpful staff.  They held a Christmas gift--a train set--for my then four year old grandson that I didn't want him to see since he was with me.  I paid for it and promised I would come back and pick it up that night after his parents came home to relieve me of after preK 4 after school babysitting.

Different staff on when I went back that night but no hassles whatsover.  I did think I was going to pass out lugging it home it was so large and awkward but for loving grandmas where there is a will there is a way!

The next time the manager waited on me at the counter I llet him know how two different young ladies on his staff had helped me out with this purchase.  He was happy to hear it.

Instead of trudging back I would call that particular store and ask them about availability at that location.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Things sell out.  Everything is not a conspiracy.

@CrazyDaisy 

I know! Right?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.