Esteemed Contributor

We don't have CVS in our area, the nearest one is twenty miles away.  I applaud their corporate decision and if they were closer, I would patronize their stores.  

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

Yes there is a difference between cigarettes and alcohol. At least people who smoke are only killing themselves and not other people. And before anyone says something about secondhand smoke, why is it that now that there are fewer smokers than ever, lung cancer is on the rise? They have tried to blame everything on smoking. Well that argument isn't flying now. What about all this ****** in our food? Environmental pollution? Now they don't have the smokers to blame, what's their reason now?? CVS and everyone else should just mind their own business and quit trying to decide what other people should or shouldn't do. 

This link discusses the lung cancer rates and the increase found in women; men lung cancer rates have plateaued.

Interesting how its now considered a disease of the elderly and that KY rates are highest among men and women there.

"In 2011, Kentucky had the highest age-adjusted lung cancer incidence rates in both men (112.2 per 100,000) and women (79.3 per 100,000). Utah had the lowest age-adjusted cancer incidence rates in both men and women (34.5 per 100,000 and 25.0 per 100,000, respectively).  These state-specific rates were parallel to smoking prevalence rates."

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Libbylady wrote:

A friend works part-time at CVS and was thrilled to be able to work the registers without that awful smell around her.

Just curious, how does your friend smell "that awful smell" when the cigarettes are sealed?

On the clothing of customers 

Honored Contributor

Since I'm not, nor have I ever been a smoker, I did not care at all when they stopped selling cigarettes. I barely register that they have a full liquor dept. I don't go into CVS thinking about buying alcohol, lol.

In addition to the Minute Clinics, CVS is also Caremark. They are involved in preventive care and work with hospitals to educate re healthcare in the community, among other things. They are also a major mail order prescription provider like ExpressScript.

It makes perfect sense for them to stop selling an item that is *proven* to cause cancer and other terminal lung disease, vs alcohol which people may or may not abuse and which may or may not lead to chronic conditions. It's definitely vs maybe.

I lose count in the media every week regarding what major chain is being investigated, fined, etc. for "cheating" customers, selling spoiled/expired foods, etc. If I stopped shopping at all of those places because of it, I wouldn't have anywhere to shop.

Am I some kind of CVS fan? Heck no. They do things that tick me off plenty, but so far not enough to cause me to greatly inconvenience myself in time and $$ by no longer shopping there.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I think CVS' promotions of their mini clinics had something to do with the cigarette ban.

Maybe CVS felt like a hypocrite touting those clinics to make you healthier while still selling cigarattes.  I know the clinics existed before the ban, but I suspect they had something to do with each other because the ban came not too long afterwrads.  I remember getting all sorts of coupons and things for those mini clinics.

I am a nurse and have helped with screenings and health education programs for CVS; they are a decent organization.  They could not promote wellness without advising people not to smoke and it just makes sense not to sell cigarettes.  There is not a shortage of cigarettes and people can purchase them in many places, just not at CVS, their prerogative.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh by the way, cigarette smoking IS NOT the ONLY cause of lung cancer but it certainly IS a MAJOR factor.

Also, ALL CVS drug stores DO NOT sell alcohol.

Respected Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

Yes, according to the CDC

I wonder if that includes e-cig smokers?  Vaping?

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

Oh by the way, cigarette smoking IS NOT the ONLY cause of lung cancer but it certainly IS a MAJOR factor.

you cannot in our state......our laws prevent it. you can only buy alcohol from liquor stores or from restaurants who have a packaged goods license.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@MyGirlsMom wrote:

you cannot in our state......our laws prevent it. you can only buy alcohol from liquor stores or from restaurants who have a packaged goods license.

Same in our state

Esteemed Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

Yes there is a difference between cigarettes and alcohol. At least people who smoke are only killing themselves and not other people. And before anyone says something about secondhand smoke, why is it that now that there are fewer smokers than ever, lung cancer is on the rise? They have tried to blame everything on smoking. Well that argument isn't flying now. What about all this ****** in our food? Environmental pollution? Now they don't have the smokers to blame, what's their reason now?? CVS and everyone else should just mind their own business and quit trying to decide what other people should or shouldn't do

Yes, there are many reasons for lung cancer and the number one killer among women.  But, if people want to smoke despite the risk, that is their prerogative just as it is the perogative of CVS to make a business decision not to sell cigarettes.  But, with all the other risks, it is not right to add another risk to a child who could develope asthma or a pregnant woman and her fetus to be exposed to second hand smoke.  People who chose to smoke are responsible for their fate alone but personal choices should not affect the health of others.