Respected Contributor

@godi wrote:

I was surprised that the CVS stores in California sell alcohol.  They won't sell cigarettes but they will sell alcohol?  Makes no sense to me. 

I so agree!  

The problem is that alcohol sales makes cigarette sales seem like PENNIES in a bucket.  Not selling cigarettes to make a 'health statement' is easy to do and gets great publicity and media buzz and does not hurt their pocket.    Alcohol sales......TOO MUCH money at stake, no worth the publicity.  

Honored Contributor

@Libbylady wrote:

A friend works part-time at CVS and was thrilled to be able to work the registers without that awful smell around her.

Just curious, how does your friend smell "that awful smell" when the cigarettes are sealed?

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@godi wrote:

I was surprised that the CVS stores in California sell alcohol.  They won't sell cigarettes but they will sell alcohol?  Makes no sense to me. 

I so agree!  

The problem is that alcohol sales makes cigarette sales seem like PENNIES in a bucket.  Not selling cigarettes to make a 'health statement' is easy to do and gets great publicity and media buzz and does not hurt their pocket.    Alcohol sales......TOO MUCH money at stake, no worth the publicity.  

It is a business and they are making a health statement and promoting wellness which makes for good business.  but they actually will lose business.  Alcohol and cigarettes are two totally different products; alcohol and cigarettes were sold at CVS stores.  Alcohol will continue to be sold and cigarettes will not.  CVS loses money and business but shoppers will view them in a positive light.  Cigarettes are linked to cancer per previous post, alcohol under normal circumstances is not harmful to health and even advised by some doctors ie a glass of wine per day.  

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I hope CVS can continue to ban cigarette sales and find profit elsewhere. 

I shop my local CVS stores frequently and I can't even tell you whether they all sell alcohol, but they probably do assuming it's legal.  I just know that's not what I buy there nor do I remember seeing anyone at the registers paying for any, not even beer. 

CVS Health is a billion dollar company. They do no need cigarette sales to make a profit.

Honored Contributor

The CVS stores where I live don't sell alcohol.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I think CVS' promotions of their mini clinics had something to do with the cigarette ban.

Maybe CVS felt like a hypocrite touting those clinics to make you healthier while still selling cigarattes.  I know the clinics existed before the ban, but I suspect they had something to do with each other because the ban came not too long afterwrads.  I remember getting all sorts of coupons and things for those mini clinics.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee

This is partially correct-- because they do have mini clinics run by nurse practitioners, it was because of these clinics that cigarette sales were banned by CVS.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I stopped shopping there for another reason entirely, but I'm pretty sure they can't tell their employees not to smoke.  I see them outside quite frequently...........

Respected Contributor

I'm not a smoker so their cig ban doesn't affect me.  However, cigs are still for sale elsewhere.  They chose a popular fight to look like "good guys".   Think it was a total pr move.

Respected Contributor

I still shop at CVS and it is still pretty crowded and busy.

Maybe in the Boston area and surrounding cities, it is not an issue. MA only has 19% or 18% smokers in this state, so I doubt it hurt MA CVS stores that much.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames