Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@Pearlee

This is partially correct-- because they do have mini clinics run by nurse practitioners, it was because of these clinics that cigarette sales were banned by CVS.

@JustJazzmomSo why is what I wrote only partially correct?

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@Pearlee

This is partially correct-- because they do have mini clinics run by nurse practitioners, it was because of these clinics that cigarette sales were banned by CVS.

I'd be surprised if that was true, I heard rampant rumors that prior to the ban, they were losing money to people buying their cigarettes at lower pricing, some even going over the border to New Hampshire.

Esteemed Contributor

When I did smoke (years ago, I do not smoke now!), I never bought cigarettes in pharmacies. (over priced).

Anyway I have no pity for CVS. They are currently in a lawsuit for overcharging for generic drugs and over billing insurance companies. Not that I pity insurance companies, but it is against the law to do so.

I quit CVS 2 years ago for their treatment of me when I went for my back pain meds and they miscounted not once but twice and then tried to blame me for their mistake. And more I don't feel like typing now. They also treated my son like dirt when he went for his epilepsy meds. (He no longer goes there either).

But anyway, I switched to a drug store pharmacy and never looked back!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

I was unaware of the lawsuit Shorty, I stopped shopping there when the banned sales of Rolling Stone magazine in their stores.  Ridiculous imo.

Honored Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

@godi wrote:

I was surprised that the CVS stores in California sell alcohol.  They won't sell cigarettes but they will sell alcohol?  Makes no sense to me. 

Ours sell both too but totally different products.  Cigarette smoking has been linked to cancer and alcohol isn't only when abused is it a danger.  Every person who purchases alcohol isn't going to abuse it but every person who smokes is at risk for cancer.  Also, should they not fill prescriptions?  Many medications are addictive but everyone who purchases a controlled substance will not abuse it.  Alcohol is a drug; CVS is a drug store 

I agree. And second hand smoke is a health hazard to nonsmokers. 

I agree about the second hand smoke but customers are not smoking inside CVS.

CVS sells soft liquor here, too - along with chips,  fatty snacks, candy, and soda.

Obesity and poor eating habits are just as critical.

I do applaud them, at least around here, for also having Stop Smoking programs - there are signs even in the drive up window.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Yes there is a difference between cigarettes and alcohol. At least people who smoke are only killing themselves and not other people. And before anyone says something about secondhand smoke, why is it that now that there are fewer smokers than ever, lung cancer is on the rise? They have tried to blame everything on smoking. Well that argument isn't flying now. What about all this ****** in our food? Environmental pollution? Now they don't have the smokers to blame, what's their reason now?? CVS and everyone else should just mind their own business and quit trying to decide what other people should or shouldn't do. 

Honored Contributor
We no longer shop there and we once used them as our primary pharmacy. I certainly have no desire to smoke but for them to remove a perfectly legal item baffles me. Now we find out they are being investigated for an illegal activity.
Respected Contributor

@Reba055 wrote:

Yes there is a difference between cigarettes and alcohol. At least people who smoke are only killing themselves and not other people. And before anyone says something about secondhand smoke, why is it that now that there are fewer smokers than ever, lung cancer is on the rise? They have tried to blame everything on smoking. Well that argument isn't flying now. What about all this ****** in our food? Environmental pollution? Now they don't have the smokers to blame, what's their reason now?? CVS and everyone else should just mind their own business and quit trying to decide what other people should or shouldn't do. 

There are fewer smokers than ever?

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

Yes, according to the CDC

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:
We no longer shop there and we once used them as our primary pharmacy. I certainly have no desire to smoke but for them to remove a perfectly legal item baffles me. Now we find out they are being investigated for an illegal activity.

Yeah that's shady. Total PR.