Frequent Contributor

THANK THE GOOD LORD!!    MY STATE, WEST VIRGINIA, JUST REPEALED THE COMMON CORE STANDARDS...THE SCHOOL TERM NEXT FALL IS THE START OF GOING BACK  TO BASICS.;..IMAGINE THAT!!    SO HAPPY...

Valued Contributor

I am SO glad I went to school BEFORE the Common Core. Trying to help a kid with math homework is beyond challenging anymore. 

Trusted Contributor

After algerbra I was lost when 'helping' with Math.  So glad I do not have to deal with CC - Homework in general.

I do volunteer at the elementary school with reading assistance.  THAT I can handle.

Esteemed Contributor
Public education in this country is a disaster and the more the governments mess with it , the worse it gets. Let the teachers teach the basics and give them all the support they need.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

I could go on and on about this.  Common core is a disaster.  Hurray for West Virginia, our neighboring state.  I taught school when it was okay to value everyone for their talents and abilities.  I saw sewing in home economics replaced by computers.  I saw SHOP replaced by computers.  I saw the end to auto shop, building trades... on and on.  They were replaced by high level math, and THINKING SKILLS.  We could no longer teach cursive, grammar, spelling... practical things.  Everyone had to learn inside a box. 

Respected Contributor

First car built with common core math.commoncoremath.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Oh now car is funny.

I have never heard one single positive thing about CC.

Respected Contributor

Why in the heck did someone think it necessary to mess with what was working?  It's very sad that an average student in the past is head and shoulders more educated than an A-B student graduating high school these days.  This is just wrong.  I refer to these kind of issues as - "while we were sleeping".  The devil's workshop in progress. 

Respected Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

Why in the heck did someone think it necessary to mess with what was working?  It's very sad that an average student in the past is head and shoulders more educated than an A-B student graduating high school these days.  This is just wrong.  I refer to these kind of issues as - "while we were sleeping".  The devil's workshop in progress. 

Easy to see who either funded this or is making money off the tests they have to take over and over until they pass.

Honored Contributor

Every time my son was part of an experiment with new teaching methods we had to spend a fortune on tutoring to bring his grades up.The good old basics should always be  standard in my opinion.