Esteemed Contributor

COLLEGE SCANDAL DEVELOPMENTS

Rather than attach a post to the lenghty Lori Loughlin thread, I thought I'd update some various developments for those of us interested in the legal maneuvering from both sides.

First, a number of those pleading guility have entered into cooperation agreements with the government.   Observers of the case suspect that there will be a new wave of indictments, particularly with information gathered from from USC coach Laura Janke.  She could be providing information about other USC authorities involved.

Cooperation could also be dangerous for the parents pleading not guilty and looking for trial.  Janke and others could provide details about how much the parents really knew about what they were doing.  

Cooperation like this could make a trial for Lori and Mossimo, for example, very difficult, as cooperators could state they clearly knew what was going on.

Also, the FBI is said to have seized almost $3 million from bank accounts, mostly from those receiving the bribes.  

Respected Contributor

Re: COLLEGE SCANDAL DEVELOPMENTS

@Johnnyeager   Thank you for the updates!  I, always, look forward and appreciate your commentary on this.  Very informative.

Esteemed Contributor

I believe all involved should be charged and spend time behind bars.  They all knew what they were doing, they all knew it was wrong;  they all believe they are above the law due to fame and fortune!!!!  Time for the legal system to set an example.

No one is above the law!

Honored Contributor

@grandma r wrote:

I believe all involved should be charged and spend time behind bars.  They all knew what they were doing, they all knew it was wrong;  they all believe they are above the law due to fame and fortune!!!!  Time for the legal system to set an example.

No one is above the law!

@grandma r, I was with you until your closing line. :-)

I would say that "No one should be above the law," because some people do indeed hold themselves up as being above the law.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3   I believe that no one is above the law.  Unfortunately, there are too many who feel they are entitled to say and do anything with no consequences!!!  And, as long as we the people allow it, there will be no change.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC Argumentative/Baiting

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

(Something happened to a post I made yesterday about the New York Times breaking story that a new wave of indictments is coming.  Most media outlets are now reporting this.)

A number of guilty plea deals included cooperation agreements, so the Justice Department has undoubtedly unearthed a great deal of new information.

New information uncovered shows that Singer received $6.5 million from the family of a Chinese student who was admitted to Stanford.  The money got the student into Stanford as a sailing team member, although she apparently never participated in that activity.

In addition to Coach Janke, the only known parents to be cooperating are Bruce and Davina Isackson who pleaded guilty yesterday.  The couple may have information about other college officials at USC and UCLA, coaches, or even friends.

Honored Contributor

NBC reported earlier a Chinese Family gave 6.5 million to this Singer person.  If true that certainly beats Aunt Becky.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

"Aunt Becky" has become a joke on the late night shows.

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager  Thank you for the update.

I read earlier this week the Feds have frozen a few of the defendents assets, I would guess that to be Singer and those who profitted monetarily by this scam. They have frozen 3 mil in assests by that time.

I also read somewhere last week that some of the parents that will not be pleading guily, LL and MG, and the others not taking a plea are filing a class action defense claiming trickery. That they were not givin all the details their actions could ensue. This will be their defense and surely one that a judge will find no pity for.

Oh those pesky tangled webs...