Respected Contributor

My 18 year old nephew has just started college and I would like to send hiim a care package. I asked him what he would like and he didn't give me any specific requests. I would appreciate suggestions. He lives in a dorm in a NE school. Thanks in advance!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Healthy snacks, homemade snacks, money/gift cards, a letter or a card, quarters for the washer and dryer, laundry soap, coffee or k cups - I don't know if your nephew has a printer in his room, but printer ink would be another suggestion. 

That's so nice of you to do.  I'm sure he'll love whatever you send him.

Valued Contributor

I had girls, but they liked shower gels, pens, Kleenex, packets of hot chocolate, soup, and noodles, stamps (this was 20 years ago), ibuprofen, gum, and of course, home made cookies. I'd be sending them iTunes cards if they were in school now. I'm sure you'll get lots of great ideas. Oh, a gift card to the campus bookstore is good, too. 

Esteemed Contributor

When my son was away at school I would send him toiletries such as toothpaste, floss, mouthwash, shampoo.........etc.   You know these things are expennsive and it is tough for the college kids to have enough money to buy what they need.   Also assuming "NE" means the northeast which is where I live, an extra warm blanket is always nice as the dorms can be chilly in the winter.    You are a nice aunt!

Esteemed Contributor

I'd include some cash along with all the other goodies.

Esteemed Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower, I agree, think of a Visa gift card.  What a nice aunt you are!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Agree with others and esp the Visa gift card as he can use it at the college bookstore. Profs are notorious for their "suggested" reading list which supplements required reading.

Forget quarters for laundry, most schools now have prepaid laundry cards so machines aren't pilfered.  

Same with printing services, usually a prepaid card there, to use at the library.

Respected Contributor

include a small sewing kit, stamps and envelopes too

Honored Contributor

That is really sweet of you.When my son was away at college he eagerly awaited mail of any kind.I usually put in new socks,Starbucks cards,cookies,toiletries,and always a note about how much I love him, how proud I am of him and how much I miss him.He loved the Starbucks cards to get a quick breakfast sandwich or a lunch but really didn't drink coffee.He always needed socks...they usually didn't get washed or went missing.

Honored Contributor

I attended a small university on the coast of California.  Every now and then I'd get out of class, go home and check my mailbox and I'd discover I'd missed a delivery.  When I'd walk into the Post Office, the guy behind the counter would greet me.  He knew what I had coming.

My parents would always send me a box of See's strawberry creams.

Noms!

I can't describe what this little luxury meant to me.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~