Honored Contributor

Co-founder of band 'Steely Dan' passed away

[ Edited ]

Walter Becker, the co-founder and guitarist for Steely Dan, had died, according to his official website.

Becker, along with co-member Donald ******en, wrote a some huge hits in the 70's, including "Rikki Don't Lose that Number," "Deacon Blues," "Kid Charlemagne," "Hey Nineteen," and 'My Old School."

The group disbanded in 1981 but they came back in the 90's and produced several big albums, including Two Against Nature, which snagged 4 Grammy Awards, including Album of the Year.

Becker and ******en were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2001 

We're told Becker had been very ill and underwent surgery last month.

Becker was 67.

Untitled

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Co-founder of band 'Steely Dan' passed away

[ Edited ]

Am very sad to hear that--I have a few of Steely Dans albums and went to a concert in 1994 that was amazing---outdoors at the gorge in George, Washington state. But they didn't sing Rikki for some reason---hate that the good old rock n roll guys are passing on--going to be some amazing jam sessions in heaven!!!

Honored Contributor

QVC's system edited the other band member's name, but it rhymes with 'pagan', but starts with an 'F' and the 2nd 'a' in 'pagan' is an 'E'.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Steely Dan member Walter Becker (L) and Donald ******en (R). Becker died on Sunday, his official website announced.

RIP Smiley Sad

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@wagirl

I still have their vinyl and CD's. They always put on a great concert! I've seen them several times.

I think I'll have to play their CD this afternoon, in honor.

You're right, I'm afraid we'll be losing many of our 'old' rock & roll artists too soon.

Eric Clapton is looking pretty frail these days. Another of my all time favorites!

Trusted Contributor

When you hear songs from artists of this magnitude, it just always zapps you right back in time.  

I did not know they disbanded in '81. Thanks for the post.

Honored Contributor

@MarkeieMark

They reunited in 1993 and were still touring.

Honored Contributor

Can't Buy a Thrill was one of my favorite albums of all time. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

He was "Reelin' in the Years" making great music.  Thanks for the soundtrack  Mr. Becker.

Honored Contributor

The origin of the band's name, Steely Dan, came from a 1959 novel called 'Naked Lunch' by William Burroughs.....it was the name of a 'device'.....google it, LOL!