Respected Contributor

😀CELL PHONES NOT REQUIRED FOR SSA SITE ACCESS😀

Following up on this topic 

discussed here in the past

I saw this on Facebook today.

😊

http://www.timegoesby.net/weblog/2016/08/a-tgb-extra-good-news-about-social-security.html?utm_source...

"Good News About Social Security...
...and you helped make it happen.

Remember two weeks ago when I told you about a new requirement at the Social Security website? Here it is as explained in an email from that federal agency:

“When you sign in at ssa.gov/myaccount with your username and password, we will ask you to add your text-enabled cell phone number."

Because only 27 percent of people 65 and older own cell phones, this was idiotic; it locked millions of people out of their own information.

I gave you a couple of email addresses where you could send your objections, including the U.S. Senate Special Committee on Aging.

Now look at what has happened.

Yesterday, a press release arrived from that Committee. Let me quote some of it --

”Following efforts from U.S. Senators Susan Collins and Claire McCaskill, the Chairman and Ranking Member of the Senate Aging Committee, seniors will once again be able to access their Social Security accounts online without needing to have a cell phone.

“Senators Collins and McCaskill sent a letter to the Social Security Administration (SSA) last week urging immediate action to roll back a new policy that required text message authentication for seniors to access their “my Social Security” account online.

“While noting the need for enhanced security, Senators Collins and McCaskill were concerned that using text message authentication as the only means of guaranteeing an individual’s access to their account put an undue burden on seniors, many of whom do not own a cell phone.

“Following the letter from Collins and McCaskill, as well as feedback from customers around the country, the SSA announced it is rolling back the policy that would have limited access for some users."

Letter Senators McCaskill and Collins sent to the the acting director of Social Security here [pdf - https://www.collins.senate.gov/sites/default/files/SCA_SSA_COLVIN_08_12_16.pdf].

Pertinent blog post at the Social Security website - http://blog.socialsecurity.gov/update-to-new-online-security/#more-1637.

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

Re: 😀CELL PHONES NOT REQUIRED FOR SSA SITE ACCESS😀

Thanks for that update!  That's good news, indeed.

I have a cell phone, and have had one for over 22 years, but I still don't give that number out frivolously.   I wouldn't give it to any business or gov't entity, just because I don't want my number used without my permission.

Of course, that matters less now days.  I've had the same cell phone number for those entire 22+ years and never, until this year, have I gotten spam calls.  Now I get at least one almost every day and some days more.   It ires me to no end.

Honored Contributor

Glad to see that because I don't give my cell number to anyone but immediate family and extremely close friends.  That happens to be about 12 people.  

I did get the email but ignored it.  If I needed to access my account I would have had to call them.

Honored Contributor

@newziesuzie

Yay! Further proof that the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

I can see where this would be a real hardship to seniors and the disabled who may not have cell phones or texting ability.

Thanks for the update!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

actually, i like the cell phone feature for an extra layer of protection!

nice though that they made it accessible for those who dont have cell phones or who dont want to provide their cell phone number.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Sunshine45 wrote:

actually, i like the cell phone feature for an extra layer of protection!

nice though that they made it accessible for those who dont have cell phones or who dont want to provide their cell phone number.

Yeah, that's the thing - choice.  Smiley Happy     I like that very much and think it's appropriate to offer it, but not make it compulsory.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the update @newziesuzieVery informative.

I received the email but ignored same.  Matter of fact I deleted it.

I do not have a cell phone nor do I plan on ever getting one.  Landline w/answering machine suits me just fine.

I wonder how long it will take SS to send out another email advising us of the "rollback????" 

I know quite a few seniors who actually deleted their SS account because of the first email........no cell phone.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

my mom is 75. about five years ago or so we FORCED her to get a cell phone and now she realizes what a good thing it is to have, especially when you are in a car or out and about. or traveling.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I cannot FORCE my 92 yr young mother to do anything.  She doesn't have a cell phone either.  When my siblings & I told her we would like her to have a Jitterbug cell, she told us all don't bother.....

"you don't miss or need what you never had" was her response.

My baby brother turns to me & says, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks."

Thankfully, my mother is very healthy.  She's currently in RIO enjoying the Olympics as well as learning how to Samba. Smiley Very Happy

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the follow up !