Honored Contributor

Re: 😀CELL PHONES NOT REQUIRED FOR SSA SITE ACCESS😀

@Allegheny

I've never used Comcast modem & as far as I know, they do not charge their tri-state customers for batteries.  

Verizon's modems are free as well as the battery box. 

I do have my own modem, Airport Extreme which piggy backs off of Verizon's modem.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny, I'm glad you figured it out.  It'seems always something,  eh? I hope the solution is quick, easy and inexpensivle. 

Super Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@newziesuzie

Yay! Further proof that the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

I can see where this would be a real hardship to seniors and the disabled who may not have cell phones or texting ability.

Thanks for the update!Heart

Amen! Glad this was rectified!

Super Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

actually, i like the cell phone feature for an extra layer of protection!

nice though that they made it accessible for those who dont have cell phones or who dont want to provide their cell phone number.

Yeah, that's the thing - choice.  Smiley Happy     I like that very much and think it's appropriate to offer it, but not make it compulsory.

@sunshine45 and @chickenbutt

CHOICE is the keyword.

It's not right to require everyone to have a cell phone to acces the site imho.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

THIS IS THE SOCIAL SECURITY UPDATE LINKED IN @newziesuzie's

OP:

"http://blog.socialsecurity.gov/update-to-new-online-security/#more-1637

Update to New Online Security

MFA

On July 30, 2016, Social Security began requiring new and current my Social Security account holders to sign into their account using a one-time code sent via text message.

This second layer of security that requires more than a username and a password is known as “multifactor authentication.”

Although we have always provided the “extra security” option to account holders, we implemented this new process to comply with the President’s Executive Order on Improving the Security of Consumer Financial Transactions.

We have a fundamental responsibility to protect the public’s personal information.

However, multifactor authentication inconvenienced or restricted access to some of our account holders.

We’re listening to the public’s concerns and are responding by temporarily rolling back this mandate.

As before July 30, current account holders will be able to access their secure account using only their username and password.

We highly recommend the extra security text message option, but it will not be required.

Now, we are developing an alternative authentication option, besides text messaging, that we will implement within the next six months.

We strive to balance security and customer service options, and we want to ensure that our online services are both easy to use and secure.

The best way to secure your information is to create a my Social Security account. If a person already has an account, a fraudulent attempt to create an account would be unsuccessful.

The my Social Security service has always featured a robust verification and authentication process, and it remains safe and secure.

We regret any inconvenience you may have experienced.

Open or access your personal my Social Security account today by visiting www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount."

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Chickenbutt @CelticCrafter @KingstonsMom @Mz iMac

@SharkE @cecesnana

You're welcome!

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

@AuberriJean wrote:

THIS IS THE SOCIAL SECURITY UPDATE LINKED IN @newziesuzie's

OP:

"http://blog.socialsecurity.gov/update-to-new-online-security/#more-1637

Update to New Online Security

MFA

On July 30, 2016, Social Security began requiring new and current my Social Security account holders to sign into their account using a one-time code sent via text message.

This second layer of security that requires more than a username and a password is known as “multifactor authentication.”

Although we have always provided the “extra security” option to account holders, we implemented this new process to comply with the President’s Executive Order on Improving the Security of Consumer Financial Transactions.

We have a fundamental responsibility to protect the public’s personal information.

However, multifactor authentication inconvenienced or restricted access to some of our account holders.

We’re listening to the public’s concerns and are responding by temporarily rolling back this mandate.

As before July 30, current account holders will be able to access their secure account using only their username and password.

We highly recommend the extra security text message option, but it will not be required.

Now, we are developing an alternative authentication option, besides text messaging, that we will implement within the next six months.

We strive to balance security and customer service options, and we want to ensure that our online services are both easy to use and secure.

The best way to secure your information is to create a my Social Security account. If a person already has an account, a fraudulent attempt to create an account would be unsuccessful.

The my Social Security service has always featured a robust verification and authentication process, and it remains safe and secure.

We regret any inconvenience you may have experienced.

Open or access your personal my Social Security account today by visiting www.socialsecurity.gov/myaccount."

@AuberriJean

Thanks for posting the full SSA info

from my OP article and link.

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Now, we are developing an alternative authentication option, besides text messaging, that we will implement within the next six months."

Oh Lawdy, what next little surprise hoop will we have to jump thru, wonder? Have to stand out in the middle of the Hwy. and look up at the stars with our fingers on our noses and repeat the Gettsyburg Address?  What fresh new *ell wil this be?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snowpuppy@on the bay@riley1, @Mz iMac, @KaliaMonet,  This thread has the links and info.    The SSA notice isn't a scam.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo - no, I didn't say it was a scam, I just mentioned I had never received any notification of this information.