Honored Contributor

Re: 😀CELL PHONES NOT REQUIRED FOR SSA SITE ACCESS😀

@Mz iMac

that is wonderful that she is in RIO...i am jealous. is she enjoying the sights and the games?

i definitely dont believe in "you cant teach an old dog new tricks....." my mom didnt know anything about computers and now she uses one all day long!

we just dont feel safe with her driving (especially longer distances) without her having a cell phone and AAA. it is also great for when her electricity is out. she has a simple flip phone that she can take pictures with or get simple text messages.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Thank goodness! DH and I had to resurrect our Tracphones to get set up for SSA accounts online.

All I could think of was my 94 year old mother, who has 2 cell phones and lost both somewhere in her home.

It seems my brother and I both gave her a cell phone at 2 diferent times, thinking it would be a good idea for her. It wasn't.

Forget computers. She's been through 3 of them and all the free tech assistance  both her 20 something grandsons could give her. Nope.

Phones (rechargable types in the house) are also becoming a challenge. Try to tell her that, tho.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45

My mother is a world traveller.  Not her first trip to So. America but her 2nd to the Olympics.  She also went to the Beijing Olympics.  She is having a ball.  Rio is one of her favorite countries because of the carnaval atmosphere.

"it is also great for when her electricity is out."

Landlines work when the electric is out.  At least the ones using Comcast or Verizon FIOS.

The only thing my mother uses her comp for is video chats w/her greatgrands & grandchildren.  That's it.  She perfers to write letters to rest of the family.  She has a Senior Comp which she got from AARP for free on her 90th birthday!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac

my mom has comcast......her landline phone will last about 8 hours with a battery backup if the electricity/cable goes out. after that they are dead.

that WOW computer looks nice!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

Thanks for the update!

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 @Mz iMac

Hey ladies, I need some information.   We have Comcast (xfinity) service for phones, TV and computer.  During power outages everything does down. No service to our phones, even when I remove the cordless phones and plug in an old type phone.

What are we doing wrong?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@newziesuzie@Mz iMac

Never mind I just figured it out.  We just switched to Comcast 2 years ago and didn't even realize that we had to purchase back up batteries to put in our modem for back up phone service during power outages.

My husband is looking into this, it gets complicated, because we also have xfinity voice service and there appears to be provisions if you have that service also that we weren't aware .

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Allegheny

You need to contact Comcast to let them know.  Ask to speak to a Tier 2 or 3 representative.

Depending on which state or city you live in, the landline (cordless) cable batteries are suppose to last from 8-24 hours from continious usage during power outages.

I live in Comcast country - So Jersey.  It's headquarters are in Philly.  Local customers get the latest equipment available from them.

EDIT:  OOPS!  You type faster than I do.  Smiley Very Happy

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@sunshine45 @Mz iMac

Hey ladies, I need some information.   We have Comcast (xfinity) service for phones, TV and computer.  During power outages everything does down. No service to our phones, even when I remove the cordless phones and plug in an old type phone.

What are we doing wrong?

To use an"old type" phone that you plug into a phone jack in the wall, you need landline service. If you have landline service through Comcast or another provider,  call and discuss the problem with them.  Maybe try a different phone cable first.

Respected Contributor

@nomless @Mz iMac

Lol, I think I am getting too old and feeble minded for all this stuff.

Based on a 2013 article in Consumer World most cable companies were no longer providing the original phone back up battery.   You now have to purchase it.  

So guess we will either buy one from Comcast or find one that fits the modem and purchase elsewhere.  DH is actually looking to purchasing our own modem rather then paying the monthly rental from Comcast.  We know an installer for Comcast and will probably hit him up for advice on which modem to consider.