Esteemed Contributor

Hello John...Hope everyone is well at your house.  I recently saw something that caught me eye while reading a hockey article and thought of you.  This is what it said... A good hockey player plays where the puck is.  A great hockey player plays where the puck is going.  Your comments please.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

@hckynut 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

" A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be". 

This is a very frequently used quote from Wayne Gretzky, who's without a doubt one of the greatest to ever play the game. He had a tremendous ability to read plays and see how things would unfold on the ice. It's something that hockey coaches from mini-mites on up try to get their players to do, but in hockey, it's more of an innate ability rather than a learned skill.

In everyday life, it's about present vs. future. It's about focusing in the right direction - forward. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

My DH went to grade school with Wayne Gretzky, before my DH moved back to the states.  He said that Wayne's dad would build a make shift ice rink in their back yard so Wayne could practice.  I believe DH also said that Wayne already had a tooth or two knocked out by that time.

My DH saw him again a few years ago, and brought a class photo with them both in it so that Wayne could sign it.  I also bought a Wayne Gretzky Hallmark ornament years ago.  I never put it on the tree, I just bought it because my DH knew him personally.  So every year, I see the never opened boxed Gretzky ornament and kind of say, "Oh yeah," and put in back in the ornament box, wondering why I spent any money on it in the first place, LOL.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Re: CALLING HCKYNUT

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

Hello John...Hope everyone is well at your house.  I recently saw something that caught me eye while reading a hockey article and thought of you.  This is what it said... A good hockey player plays where the puck is.  A great hockey player plays where the puck is going.  Your comments please.

Hi @Lindsays Grandma ,

My wife has been gone close to 2 weeks at several Pet Sitting Jobs. She is supposed to be home tonight. She is doing well, as am I and our furry ones. Hope you and yours are well.

In hockey the "great players" know the next play before it happens. They can be skating without the puck, but know instinctively, where the other player is going to put it. Going "for the puck", a player is at least 1 play behind.

All great hockey players see what's ahead of the present action to the next plays. This is playing "offensively" or "defensively". On Offense your team "has the puck". On Defense the opposing team "has the puck". In hockey terms it's known as "seeing the whole ice". Good players have more of a "tunnel vision" and see only what is happening in the present.

That is why that very few are called the Great Players. Very few have that gift, it is one of those things that cannot be taught. 

Coaches try to teach players that philosophy and it does make them better players for sure. 

My best to you and appreciate hearing that phrase here.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut 

I hope you and your dear sweet wife enjoy a Healthy and Safe New Year with many blessings.

You're one of the GOOD one's and I would guess lucky to have found each other.

Honored Contributor

@MoonieBaby 

Thank you very much and I wish the same for you and yours. We were indeed lucky.

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Re: CALLING HCKYNUT

[ Edited ]

@hckynut ...Thank you very much for the explanation, now I understand hockey more than before.  And yes, there are gifted players in every sport just as there are in, say, a salesman.  Some are very  much better than others, and I believe it is a gift. 

I wish you and your wife A Very Happy, Healthy, Prosperous New Year.  And the fur babies too. Cat LOL

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma @hckynut , reading this quote made me remember why I quit playing tennis.  I've been told I have great strokes, at least I know that's true at the baseline.  Can't say my net game was pretty, though. Smiley Wink  Anyway, dh taught me to play and was always proud of my swing.  BUT I lacked the ability to anticipate where the ball was going much of the time.  So I was running around a lot.  Something I came to understand was that those who are natural athletes, even if they don't generally play tennis, seem to have that anticipation gene and use it to their advantage.

In addition, going a step further, those players who can actually set up their opponent 2 or 3 strokes ahead of their planned "winning shot" seem to win the most. Now, I am speaking of Singles here, because there's only one opponent whose weakness you determine and then set your strategy. No one else on their side of the net to mess things up, (or on your side either!)  

Anyway, interesting discussion!  Happy New Year!