Esteemed Contributor

Taking down the Christmas decorations

As a child, my mother always waited until January 6th to take down the tree and everything else.   I followed that tradition for a long time, but the last few years everything was down and put away by New Year's Day.

When do you take down your decorations?

Honored Contributor

Re: Taking down the Christmas decorations

Generally I take just about everything down the day after Christmas...I am home alone, DH is at work all day....this year since Saturday is the day after Christmas and DH is home all day the clean up won't happen until probably Tuesday, my day off work and DH is not home.  It's a huge mess as I taken down, clean at the same time.  I like to do this with no one around.

I might find a project we can do together like pull out the TV clean and rewind some of those horrible cables that I can see..fun day, ha ha.!

We will do something more fun on Sunday, eat out and do a little shopping.

Honored Contributor

Not before January 6th, Litte Christmas.

Honored Contributor

I always waited until January 6.

This year no decorations went up, though.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

Most likely New Years Day.  We like to enjoy ours for awhile as it is so much work to put it all up.   When we had our larger home out in the woods we actually would leave it all up until Martin Luther King day!!  I know, LOL, a bit long but it was fun and we had the room for it.  Now that we've downsized to a townhouse it's a bit intrusive on us but we still like it Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

January 6th but I really think we need a little Christmas a little longer this year. I hope people leave their lights up and on longer.

Honored Contributor

I really dont't see what the big rush is to take everything down.  I usually have people over for NYE and I like to have decorations up.  I have a lot of snowmen which I keep up all winter.

My tree will come down probably the second week in January...again it really isn't a big deal when exactly since I'm not on any schedule.

Honored Contributor

Christmas Eve to Twelfth Night 

when I was a kid

Respected Contributor

I have a lot of things with battery operated lights.  Everything was put out right after Thanksgiving, so I had to replace batteries about a week and a half ago.  As the batteries die this time, I will put items away.  The tree will be the last to come down.  Everything will probably be stored away sometime that first full week of January..l.whenever I feel moved to do it!  I don't have a set schedule....I usually just wake up one day and feel like it's time to put it away.

In the past when I had a house I have waited some years til the end of January!  But my apartment is not huge, and I am ready to take back the space earlier now.

Super Contributor

@twinsister  My mom did that too.  Waited till January 6.  My sisters best friend took hers down while her 2 boys were still opening presents.  She put her tree up thanksgiving night, so she was already sick of it.