Contributor
Has anyone heard of C-diff? My friend from college, age 52 died yesterday. Her husband came home and she was died from a heart attack caused by c-diff bacteria.

She was taking antibiotics for a tooth Issue. Now she’s gone. Can someone explain this to me?
Honored Contributor

Re: C-diff killed my friend!

I don't know that much about it, but 2 different ladies at my church had it recently, one younger, one elderly.  They both lived.  Bad stuff.  I think both of them had recently had some sort of minor surgery.

Esteemed Contributor

I have had c-diff twice. The first time was the result of a filthy hospital experience. The second was the result of antibiotic therapy during knee replacement. I know that this is a serious issue. For someone like your friend, I am mystified. Did she receive care, meds,treatment? It is awful. my condolences go out to you.

Honored Contributor

@CBonifacio 

https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/clostridium-difficile-colitis#1

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@CBonifacio  Sorry for your loss. And that doesn't sound right. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

This might help

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/c-difficile/symptoms-causes/syc-20351691

I see the use of anti-biotics is mentioned.  I have noticed in the past that antibiotics mention side effects that can occur even months after using, severe diarrhea being one of them.  

Honored Contributor

@CBonifacio. We've  had discussions about it here in the past.  I remember googling it and finding a great deal of information, most of which I have forgotton.  You might want to research it too.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@CBonifacio  Oh no I'm so sorry about your friend. I've had friends on strong antibiotics who have had C difficile. They had to take another antibiotic to help it. Mostly they both had severe gastrointestinal symptoms.  The official definition is:

"Inflammation of the colon caused by the bacteria Clostridium difficile.
Clostridium difficile colitis results from disruption of normal healthy bacteria in the colon, often from antibiotics. It can cause severe damage to the colon and even be fatal."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am so, so very sorry to read of the sudden loss of your friend, and am sending a prayer of solace for you, her loved ones and anyone else affected by this sorrow. I wish I had something else to say that might be of comfort.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Valued Contributor

My father contracted C-diff from a stitch or 2 accidentally left in after hip surgery.  He got an infection and had to be on antibiotics.   It was brutal...constant diarrhea.... he was 89 and it really weakened him and presumably his heart.  He never regained his strength and it was a year from you know where.  He passed away and while I can't say it was from C-diff it certainly compromised his whole body.