Honored Contributor

Re: Bye Bye Redbook (PRINT) Magazine

@beach-mom wrote:

There are days when I want to come home and relax by myself with a PRINTED magazine I enjoy. That is becoming harder and harder to do. 

I still miss More, and other magazines when they talked about fashion, beauty, and women's issues only,  and there was more content than ads. Smiley Sad

@beach-mom

I feel exactly the way you have written!!!  And More was another favorite of mine!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I miss all the great magazines that were around when I was growing up.  Ah well, time marches on and it's on the computer now...what isn't anymore, right?!

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@halfpint1 wrote:

I use to like to read the novel in the back pages.

Me, too, @halfpint1.  

I use to love readers digest.  Always had interesting stories.

Honored Contributor

I too wondered what was going on.  I subscribe to Good Housekeeping and Redbook.  I was/am getting Glamour through something I bought on HSN.  I hate that magazine and generally put it in a pile for recycling.

I'm bummed about Redbook.  I wonder if GH will be far behind.  I like to relax during a pedicure or in the tub with my magazines. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sad news. Smiley Sad When I was a child my Ma bought Woman's Day, Family Circle and GH at the grocery store check out. At times she would buy Red Book.

We would both read them. I taught myself how to cook at a young age with recipes from those magazines, especially FC and GH.

Trusted Contributor

@sunshine 919 Readers Digest is still around - sadly it is about half the size it once was.  Good Housekeeping used to be one of my favorites but not only did they downsize but it's mostly ads very little content.

Valued Contributor

@Jtdmum wrote:

My Coastal Living was discontinued and they substituted Southern Living. 

They're not even close! 

I've noticed my BHG mag is getting thinner and thinner every month.  I'm sure that will go by the wayside soon too. 

Thanks for info - I also receive Coastal Living and wondered why I was getting Southern Living all of a sudden (hadn't had a chance to look at it to see Coastal was being discontinued).

Honored Contributor

Gee, I'm surprise that it lasted as long as it did!  I don't think I've even seen that mag anywhere for at least 20 years.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

I was given Redbook, Good Housekeeping & Family Circle by a friend who got the deal all 3 magazines for $11.

Honestly, the Redbook December issue was no more than 1/4" thick.  The other magazines I put in the library nothing but  advertisements or beauty articles.

I'm sure very few buy magazines anymore.  Printing, low subscriptions & postage costs must be a factor in the decision.  I noticed in our supermarket checkout used to have a wide variety and now it's mostly tabloid magazines😉

There are several supermarkets around here, NONE OF THEM have mags at the checkout.  But, they do have some Milky Way and Three Musketeers bars there!

Walgreens has some mags near the checkout but I've never seen anyone paying any attention to them.  Lots of candy bars!