Valued Contributor

Extremely disappointed by ABC's coverage of Rose Parade

[ Edited ]

Always watched the parade on HGTV, but since they're not showing it now, I unfortunately chose to record ABC's coverage to watch later. For all of us who are horse lovers, ABC's coverage was a MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT! I heard one of the hosts say that there were 18 equestrian groups in the parade. Who would have known considering that only 2 of the 18 were actually featured during the entire two-hour broadcast. I thought for sure they would at least show the Clydesdales, but no! I heard them say, right before going to a commercial, that the Clydesdales were next, but they went ahead to the break and we never got to see them (except for maybe one second during the very end when they were doing a recap of the whole parade). I'm never, ever going to watch the Rose Parade on ABC again.

Honored Contributor

Re: Extremely disappointed by ABC's coverage of Rose Parade

I agree that it wasn't very good.  I enjoy the marching bands, but every time one came along, ABC showed them marching but not playing.  Then they'd cut to a commercial.  I watched only for 1/2 - 1 hour, so maybe it improved later.  But by then, I was long gone.

Respected Contributor

I think the main focus is the floats & a lot of work go into them. Everyone wants something else. They try to show a mix in the alloted time. Can't please everyone. Maybe Hallmark showed more to your liking. I don't know what was shown there but know they had it on.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualityshopper,  Hallmark channel broadcasts the Rose parade in place of HGTV.  Not the same but better than the broadcast channels.

Check out ktla.com/2019/01/01/watch-the-130th-rose-parade-presented-by-honda-a-new-years-tradition/

Can't post that as a live link because of side stories but they have video posted of what appears to be the entire parade split into segments.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

I watched NBC with Hoda and Al and it wasn't much better.  They were fun to watch but after the small fire it all went downhill.

Honored Contributor

It couldn't have been any worse than when the Property Brothers from HGTV did the commentary.  It was obvious they knew absolutely nothing about anything featured in the parade including flowers.   They knew so little, they could scarcely make small talk with each other.

Sorry to hear about the horses.  That's my favorite part.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Year after year, the Property Brothers do HGTV's coverage and they just read from a script.  They obviously have no interest in any of it except whatever they get paid.  I refuse to watch their coverage.  I like to watch Hallmark's coverage with Lisa Gibbons and Mark Steinus.  They do an excellent job.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hallmark covered the parade or, it appears, picked up a live feed from one of the local stations covering the parade... It was better coverage... The only reason I watch the Rose parade is for the floats and to see all the wonders they create with plant material... Though I do like to see the equestrian groups, I have no interest at all in all those marching bands... Who knows... Maybe they're more interesting in person...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Truth be told, I forgot to watch it today.  First time in years and yesrs I missed it.  Too much excitement over our snow.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I've been and it really is beautiful to see in person.  The week leading up to the Rose Parade has competitions among the marching bands in the parade, you can work on floats if needed and all kinds of events.  They have an area you can go to after the parade to see the floats close up, but the crowds were too large and the floats were not really that interesting when not animated.  It's a beautiful place and we had a great time ...  The TV coverage this year was not worth watching ...  Hopefully someone will get their act in gear next year ...  There really are interesting things happening around the world that don't involve politics ...