Respected Contributor

Re: Buying a Round for the Kitchen Staff

I’ve spent 25 years in hospitality and have met very few food service workers who didn’t drink.
Honored Contributor

This seems inappropriate to me too.  The last thing an owner needs is a sloshed staff.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

My parents owned a restaurant with a bar in it.  I worked there as a bartender.  Many people would buy me a drink and my drink of choice was iced tea.

Buying  a round includes alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks.  No way would $10-$12 cover the whole staff for a round of anything alcoholic.

I think this is tacky and makes the restaurant look bad.  It is not in good taste at all.

I don't think a lot of corporate owned restaurants would allow it either.

It means the shift manager has to be there.  Shift managers are not permitted to be friends with or socialize with team members that work in the same location.  If you get 1 team member that has one too many or is ticked off it could lead to accusations being filed against that manager.  

It's a bad idea all around.

Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
I’ve spent 25 years in hospitality and have met very few food service workers who didn’t drink.

I know many people who don't drink alcoholic beverages  and many of them are food service workers.  Of course, I know many people who do drink and most are not food services workers.

I don't think your profession makes a difference.  I worked as a bartender, waitress, cook and dishwasher in our family restaurant and I don't drink.  I can make a mean drink for someone else though.

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

I think its a great idea.  It says for after their shift.  I have been kitchen staff and you work your tail off and do not get any tips.  So I appreciate this idea.

edited to add..........after reading some of your comments I  now understand the cheap to none tips for wait staff and others.  Geesh stay home and eat.

@Imaoldhippie We are great tippers--always more than 20 percent.  However, this would offend me. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So now I am going to be served by a bunch of drunks?  Why????  I would  rather give them the money in their pocket.  We all know the house is making money.  And who is going to serve them in the kitchen?  The server?  Then they will need to tip the server for serving them drinks.  It all ends badly.  Tip the server.  She shares the tips with kitchen and bar anyway.

i always tip 20-25%.  If I had someone go above and beyond, and do something extraordinary believe me I would just leave more money.  My granddaughter is server at a celebrity restaurant in Studio C.  She would rather have an extra 10 than a drink.  However in her restaurant a shot of scotch is 45.  

Honored Contributor

Another idea rather than a drink.  Buy them a meal.  Lol.  Most places do not let them have meals.  If they do ,they are half price . Or, they can only have one thing.  Usually it is soup or chicken and salads.  Not the filet mignon.   Depending on where you work, those kids cant afford it.  Sometimes during a holiday or busy ,hard shift the manager gives them a meal...the good stuff.  My granddaughter is thrilled. And a glass of wine.  But no one is allowed more than 4-5 ounces as they are not  wanting to be responsible for them after hours.

Honored Contributor

This kind of sounds like something that was done years ago.  I am surprised it still exists in modern America (even if you only take the liability into account.)

Esteemed Contributor

The OP’s example says “after their shift.”  I can’t believe there is finally an instance where the tip-anybody-and-everybody crowd here is balking at tipping. 

After all, the meal starts in the kitchen. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

So the manager jacks up the price of a six-pack, and makes a profit, albeit small.

The kitchen help gets a bottle of beer at the end of the shift, which will help to supplement paychecks.

Win-win all around. *eyeroll*

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh