Respected Contributor

Buying a Round for the Kitchen Staff

DH and I wanted to try a local restaurant that we've never been to before. We went online to check their menu and came across this:

COMPLIMENT THE -KITCHEN STAFF- BUY THEM A ROUND!! $12

I Googled and found articles dating back to 2011 about restaurants suggesting buying a round for the kitchen staff. 

Before today I never saw this suggestion on a menu.

Have you seen this on a menu?

Image result for restaurants now recommend buying rounds of beer for the kitchen staff

Related image

Image result for restaurants now recommend buying rounds of beer for the kitchen staff

Honored Contributor

Re: Buying a Round for the Kitchen Staff

It's a wonder they ever get orders from the kitchen to dining room.  In most businesses, drinking on the job is forbidden, for a good reason.  I think it's a really bad idea.  I think I'd skip this "dining experience ".

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My gut feeling is that this is a really bad idea.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It's a wonder they ever get orders from the kitchen to dining room.  In most businesses, drinking on the job is forbidden, for a good reason.  I think it's a really bad idea.  I think I'd skip this "dining experience ".

@Kachina624  I would assume that they would be off duty when accepting the rounds. I don't think any restaurant would allow their workers to drink on the job.

I imagine the management might give them a voucher or something similar that can be used during their time off.

I think the whole idea is odd. What if a person doesn't drink? Or like Beer? 

Esteemed Contributor

So how many "Rounds" might the kitchen staff have some night if several customers actually do so? Then, are they all driving home? Who is liable if someone is injured (or killed) in an accident following those "Rounds"? The customer who purchased them? The drive who is under the influence? Or the restaurant owner who printed the idea on the menu? Insurance companies would have a mess on their hands.  A foolish thing to have printed on any menu.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Wow this is new to me!...a very bad idea in my opinion.  Why buy the kitchen staff "a round"?  Why not just have the owners pay them well for all of their hard work?!!

Honored Contributor

I've never seen such a thing - it sounds like a bold-faced grab for bar sales.  And who knows if the kitchen staff ever see the money or drinks that are "donated."  I guess I'd think twice about patronizing such an estabilshment.

Esteemed Contributor

I do not eat dinner out very often. Lunch:yes, but not dinner.

Have not seen this and agree that it's a bad idea.

Tipping the waitstaff AND the kitchen?!  What's next- management?

Back in the day when I waited tables the restaurant bought the staff one drink at the end of their shift if they wanted to indulge.

Alcohol does not pay the bills. In addition, I do not support anything that encourages drinking. Alcoholism is a very serious problem, both for alcoholics and their loved ones.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Super Contributor

I have a friend who works part time at a small family bar/restaurant and after his shift (closing) the owner has a drink with him (free).  If the owner wants to buy their employee a drink that is fine, but I find the repeated mentions on the menu annoying.  Not everyone drinks anyway and if they did I’d hope they would get an employee discount and not have to pay $10.  Why not just remind people that wait staff depend on tips and leave it at that, without the booze references.