Super Contributor

Has anyone ever had knee replacement and bunion surgery.  Which is more pain?

i have had both knees replaced wondering about bunion now. Tired of shoes hurting 

Esteemed Contributor

I had bunion surgery. It hurt, but not terribly, for several months afterward. Honestly, it was a very good thing. Before I had it, a trip to the store would end in agony and the thought of going on vaca and walking a lot was OUT of the question.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Life is too short to be miserable.

Honored Contributor

I haven’t had either but if your feet are too sore to get around and nothing else will help then I guess you need to have the surgery.Did you try wide shoes or getting fitted at one of those special shoe places that podiatrists recomend.

Trusted Contributor

Bunion surgery was not painful for me.

Honored Contributor

Not familiar with knee surgery, but my mom had bunion surgery and it was painful.  Everyone's experience with surgery is different.  Avoid surgery if possible, explore all alternatives.  It you must continue with this option, choose your surgeon wisely.

Honored Contributor

I can't speak to knee surgery, but I have had five foot surgeries that were mostly for bunions.

I had tried everything. But when I was in so much pain, I finally decided to take that step, so to speak.

Today I can walk my three miles plus miles in 50 minutes.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I had both knees replaced a year ago this past May.  It was easy, not painful.

I was in rehab for maybe 20 or so days (worth every bit of it) then I stayed with my daughter for a few days.  Then I went home by myself.

I've never had any trouble with my knees.  The trouble I have is from my back.  I have a really, really painful back.  On the right side, the pain travels down my spine to my butt and behind the knee.  It causes the one knee to swell.  The minute I get up and move it, it's fine.  It's totally from my back.

Anyway, I advise everyone to get them both done at the same time rather than to wait until one heals, etc.

My Dr started out not wanting to do both but he was retiring and I talked him into it.  He finally agreed.  It was one of the best decisions I've made.

The Drs don't let people hurt much anymore.  I've never met anyone who regrets having knee replacement (kinda like hysterectomy).

Everyone is different.  If I was going to give you advice, I'd say for you not listen when people talk about THEIR pain.  YOUR pain will be YOUR pain.  YOUR body is different from MY body.

Don't let anyone scare you into doing what you need to do for you.  Listen to their ideas about what worked best (as far as relief, etc), but not about their pain.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

You write so beautifully! Never gets old. Relate to what you said-hysterectomy. 

I haven't had knee or bunion problems. However! Emergency surgery above. 

Pain minimal, and felt new energy and was up moving in a short time.

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity Yes!  That's what I've always heard other's say too.  Thanks for your kind words.

I wish I was capable of running my life like I do my computer (you know, backspace....delete...re-read..correct, etc).  Ha!

Unfortunately, life is not like that.  I tend to 'call it like I THINK 'it' is'.  The way I am here is the way I am all of the time...just have a better filter (here).

Valued Contributor

I had bunion surgery on both feet( not at the same time). It was painful for weeks. My feet were blackish purple and throbbing. So uncomfortable sleeping with feet propped up BUT.....SO WORTH IT! I never have regretted getting this done, I wish I would have done it sooner. It is never a good time for surgery but just do it.