Trusted Contributor

I belong to a Facebook group that is all about cookies and specifically wedding table cookies (it's a 'burg thing).  Anyway, a week or so ago someone brought up the fact that the tips on the Hershey Kisses were missing.  Instead of a nice pointy tip it was a broken off blount tip.  Someone in the group contacted Hershey and was told that the tips were intentionally being broken off so that they would not break off during shipping.  Huh?  Anyway the tips have made the national news.  Hershey has not really explained the tips issue or even what they do with the tips after they have broken off. 

So if you buy Kisses for peanut blossoms or any other cookies featuring a perfect Kiss you may be dissapointed.

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like a way of saving costs! Keeping those tips adds to their (Hershey's) chocolate inventory. Somebody probably received a huge bonus for that idea. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I assume it's a cost savings move.

Honored Contributor

It's sad that Hershey's would do this.  Oh well, if you don't like them this way, complain to the company and they'll mail you a coupon.

kisses.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Ohhh . . . not very attractive. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I assume it's a cost savings move.

That would make sense, except that the Kisses are sold by weight.  Now if Hershey's is weighing the product prior to decapitation well, that's a whole other thing.  I'd say it would be illegal

Trusted Contributor

I have made my cookies with kisses and my tips were not mising.  If they had been... well I would have shrugged it off.   Geez what is wrong with people...  

Trusted Contributor

@Junebug54 wrote:

I have made my cookies with kisses and my tips were not mising.  If they had been... well I would have shrugged it off.   Geez what is wrong with people...  

Well, this is probably the most controversial thing we can discuss on this board.  Some people really, really like the tips.

Honored Contributor

What, no tips... My world will never be the same... Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

This was covered on the national news this week and there was no comment from Hershey's that this was being done deliberately (which wouldn't make any sense at all).  They said they were looking into it.

If they wanted to change the shape, they'd still finish off the outside to a smooth gloss.  This looks to be a manufacturing issue.

One of the national shows did their own investigation and bought two bags of Kisses, opened them all and found most to still have the tip intact and about a third broken.  Something's clearly going wrong at the plant during production.