Valued Contributor

My land line stopped working yesterday.  The phone company isn't going to fix it until July 10th.  Meanwhile, I have a Tracfone that I use in case of an emergency when I travel. Maybe it's time for me to join the 21st century and get a smartphone!  Am I the only one in civilized society without one?

Honored Contributor

My landline had an issue and when the phone company came out, he told me that all he could do was re-wire it outside the walls.  That is what all that insurance that you pay for repair for 100 years gets you.

They do not fish the line, they do not open walls.

If I wanted to fix the original wiring, I would have to hire someone to open the walls and find the issue.

He was able to narrow down the general area of the issue, so I could have had an electrician come out and open the wall and fix it.  But I felt that was excessive.

I hope you have better luck.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I still have just a flip phone.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@VaBelle35  Yikes!  Thanks for the warning!

Honored Contributor
I would definitely upgrade the phone.

My Frontier landline has frequent problems, and I have learned to never call for service until I have disconnected the phone from the phone jack, and have disconnected the connection to my modem. Sometimes when I break that connection for 24 hours, the phone will work when I reconnect.
Valued Contributor

@RedTop  Thanks for the suggestion!

Honored Contributor
We cut the land line years ago and am so glad we did. Nice not to get as many robo-calls and the iPhone is invaluable for med. alarms and FaceTime with the grands.
Respected Contributor

I had landline issues a few years ago and it took them 3 days to get it back up and working.  A guy would show up and then disappear for hours while working on the line, then leave before it was fixed.  The same thing the next day, etc.  I do have a cell phone for emergencies but like to have landlines also - one phone in each bedroom and one in the kitchen.  

Valued Contributor

@VaBelle35 

I'm a retired phone company employee and my job was to diagnose a problem and decide what needed to be done to fix it.

I know the various companies have different

programs but if you have been paying insurance, it should cover any inside work.

No insurance = no inside work without charging you but they should still fix it.

It sounds like this guy didn't know what to do so gave you a line of baloney. 

I'm only familiar with baby bell companies not land lines associated with a cable company. I don't know what their rules are but it sounds fishy to me. I'd call again and get a clarification.

I hope this helps.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Honored Contributor

@azgal wrote:

@VaBelle35 

I'm a retired phone company employee and my job was to diagnose a problem and decide what needed to be done to fix it.

I know the various companies have different

programs but if you have been paying insurance, it should cover any inside work.

No insurance = no inside work without charging you but they should still fix it.

It sounds like this guy didn't know what to do so gave you a line of baloney. 

I'm only familiar with baby bell companies not land lines associated with a cable company. I don't know what their rules are but it sounds fishy to me. I'd call again and get a clarification.

I hope this helps.

@azgal   Thanks but it was true.  It was Verizon and it is all outlined on their website.

On all repairs Verizon does not “fish” walls. If wall-run wire cannot be used to run replacement wire the
Verizon Technician will run replacement cable via baseboard only.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN