Esteemed Contributor

Re: Break-ins being reported

Having list everything we owned on a housefire years ago reaffirmed my belief that "stuff" is not worth losing your life over. If the Officials tellyou to leave, then leave. You only make it worse for the rescuers.
Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Frequent Contributor

Things can be replaced, lives can't.  If you were asked to evacuate, then do so please.  Nothing is worth risking your life.  Karma to all who stay around just to rob people.  Disasters tend to bring out the best and the worst in people.

Honored Contributor

There's a reason why events like these are called disasters.

Esteemed Contributor

Several years ago I lived in a neighborhood hit by a tornado.  It happened in the evening just before sunset, and the roads were blocked so my husband couldn't get through to get home after the storm had passed.  I was without electricity with a little one.  Our place was not damaged, but the yard was full of debris from the houses that were demolished across the street.  As scary as that was--seeing the damage and hearing the roar of the tornado--nothing compared to the frightful sound of the looters running up and down the street, banging on windows, trying to get inside. The grocery store about a mile away was looted and the focus of most of police security.  We had no phone service to call 911.  So scary!  Thank goodness all my doors and windows were secure and they opted to move on.

It's sad there are people out there who would try to take advantage in that situation.  Hopefully, with National Guard being deployed, people will be protected.  I guess this explains why so many don't want to evacuate.

Honored Contributor

I would not blame somone that would shoot them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

What about leaving your pets? I just would not!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

If these creeps are caught, the penalties should be greater than usual. Same for price gougers. Selling necessities to hapless victims of severe storms is theft in its own way.

Respected Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

That infuriates me.

1.  Then people don't want to evacuate for fear of being robbed;

2.  The people that stay behind to break in might need to be rescued, putting the lives of others in danger

@bri20

I agree!!  If the crooks need help, don't rescue them!

Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

Several years ago I lived in a neighborhood hit by a tornado.  It happened in the evening just before sunset, and the roads were blocked so my husband couldn't get through to get home after the storm had passed.  I was without electricity with a little one.  Our place was not damaged, but the yard was full of debris from the houses that were demolished across the street.  As scary as that was--seeing the damage and hearing the roar of the tornado--nothing compared to the frightful sound of the looters running up and down the street, banging on windows, trying to get inside. The grocery store about a mile away was looted and the focus of most of police security.  We had no phone service to call 911.  So scary!  Thank goodness all my doors and windows were secure and they opted to move on.

It's sad there are people out there who would try to take advantage in that situation.  Hopefully, with National Guard being deployed, people will be protected.  I guess this explains why so many don't want to evacuate.

@wildcat fan

I guess looting beats working. . .

Honored Contributor

Oh no Smiley Surprised