Respected Contributor

Re: Braving the cold

[ Edited ]

Here we are next couple days - SE WI. Windchills are expected to be -35 to -60. Thats even cold for us WI folks. 2 feet of snow on the ground currently also. Gotta love it!😉

1AB783D2-15EB-40ED-B247-C93F1B78ADBB.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

I'm in Kansas City and I have no idea what our wind chill was last night but it was pretty blasted cold.  Some dumb a** kid walked into Beauty Brands in shorts and flip flops. 

Respected Contributor

@cherry  I hear ya.  I'm a big baby too, but my extremities get so cold really fast (I'm thin and small boned).  After I got to work at the college this morning, I saw a young man walking down the hall in shorts (the temp here is similar to where you are).  I also had a girl pass me on the sidewalk wearing her bedroom slippers.  My boss sits in her office by the window wearing a short sleeved blouse.  Go figure.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

To each their own, of course, but I really despise the spectre of the - well, I won't describe it, but the whole shorts and flip flops in the winter thing seems to me, to be really misguided.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I don’t know how people and outside animals (livestock) are expected to survive this kind of weather.  

Prayers for everyone and everything being affected by this brutally cold weather.

Our temp will be down to 15 tonight.

Honored Contributor

I am not really conerned about how it looks. I just wonder how they can stand it?

Esteemed Contributor

I like to hibernate when its cold like this. And its not as cold here as it is where a lot of you are. Makes my nose hurt to be out in it.

Honored Contributor

People, especially young people, feel cold differently.  Mentally, they aren't intimidated by cold the way we are either.  I remember my younger daughter went through a phase in h.s. when she wouldn't wear a winter coat.  We are in MA, it gets cold in the winter.  When it was in the teens, she'd throw a heavy sweat shirt on but not a coat.  I complained to our pediatrician about it, she had teenagers herself and her response surprised me.  She shrugged and said "no one ever gets sick from cold weather, leave her alone".  I've seen women leave the nail shop after a pedi and walk around town in their flip flops when it's freezing cold.  I stay in the shop for 2 hours to make sure my toes are dry so I can put my Uggs back on before I go outside.  

Trusted Contributor

i see the same thing where i live. young girls in shorts and tees, guys in tees and flip flops. it makes me feel even colder! lol! i kinda think they want to show that nah, it’s not cold at all. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree  You just jogged my memory. Our local paper( years ago) did an article about one of the letter carriers. He used to do his route all ,year long, with out a coat. It started as a bet ,with another guy. The man told him you get used to the cold( I never would). He said, if he didn't start wearing  coat in the fall ,he would be ok all winter

SO, he tried it. When it became really bitter, he would wear a hat. Frankly, I think it is stupid