Honored Contributor

Re: Boys Go to Great Lengths to Protect U.S. Flag

The discussion of those conscientious boys makes me think of the other, much more famous photograph involving the flag--  the one of six Marines, struggling to raise the flag at the battle at Iwo Jima.

Of the six Marines in that iconic image, two were dead within a week, I believe, and a third died in battle just a little bit later.   It's the most stunning photograph, and of course later became the basis for an enduring memorial to Marines and their devotion to country and the flag that represents it. 

I could be wrong, but I think the original photo was a Pulitzer Prize-winner, justifiably.

Honored Contributor

I think it is far more important to treat others well, than to worry about who does what with a flag of any nation

I am as patriotic as anyone else, but  turning a flag into a red herring can be dangerous. Teaching your child to be kind, and fair, law abiding, and truthful, and generous to others ,is far more important to me, than the flag touching the ground

Trusted Contributor

The additional information reminded me of the "Frazz" comic in which lots of information and life lessons are conveyed by the school custodian. 

Honored Contributor

Hi @cherry,  I personally don't see it as a choice of one or the other.  I believe one can instill all the important tenets of kindness, decency and all the other essential aspects of good citizenship and, for that matter, "good personhood";  and also teach respect for what the flag represents.  I didn't see anything in the story that suggested that the boys were lacking in any other areas, as they tried to show their sensitivity and respect.

They sounded like pretty neat kids! 

Esteemed Contributor

It must be miserable to live in a country that you hate so much you don’t care about the flag and what it represents. In 57 years I have witnessed many things I disagreed with and wish would change but through it all I adore my country and it’s flag. If I didn’t I would love for something that made me happier.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Respected Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

It must be miserable to live in a country that you hate so much you don’t care about the flag and what it represents. In 57 years I have witnessed many things I disagreed with and wish would change but through it all I adore my country and it’s flag. If I didn’t I would love for something that made me happier.

You are slipping into the behavior several people have mentioned. Flinging accusations and insults are not acts of patriotism.

No one on this thread ever said they hated this country. They UNDERSTAND what it means to be a free American. The flag is a symbol of that freedom. Not something to be adored.

Valued Contributor

I agree with you. These boys are great.
Esteemed Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

A photo of three Idaho boys going to great lengths to make sure an American flag did not touch the ground is capturing the hearts of Internet users everywhere.

The three boys are fifth-graders at Hayden Meadows Elementary School in Hayden, Idaho, and were tasked Wednesday with taking the American flag down and ensuring it was folded properly, KGW reported.

One parent arriving at school to pick up her kids noticed the three boys going above and beyond to make sure the flag did not touch the ground and decided to snap a photo.

"Wow !  I just watched the most amazing act of Patriotism! Was waiting to pick up my children from school when three boys took down the flag. They were having a hard time making sure it didn’t touch the ground when the third boy laid under it to honor not letting it touch the ground ." Heart

Boys Folding Flag

Precious!!!!! Heart

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

The discussion of those conscientious boys makes me think of the other, much more famous photograph involving the flag--  the one of six Marines, struggling to raise the flag at the battle at Iwo Jima.

Of the six Marines in that iconic image, two were dead within a week, I believe, and a third died in battle just a little bit later.   It's the most stunning photograph, and of course later became the basis for an enduring memorial to Marines and their devotion to country and the flag that represents it. 

I could be wrong, but I think the original photo was a Pulitzer Prize-winner, justifiably.

Thats so sad...and thats why we honor our flag..think of all the fallen men who died defending it! My father was stationed in that area, he was in the Navy!!!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

You are slipping into the behavior several people have mentioned. Flinging accusations and insults are not acts of patriotism.

No one on this thread ever said they hated this country. They UNDERSTAND what it means to be a free American. The flag is a symbol of that freedom. Not something to be adored.

That manipulation doesn’t work on me. I adore my country and flag and no one is going to change my mind.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.