Honored Contributor

How ballerinas customize their pointe shoes.

Honored Contributor

Re: How ballerinas customize their pointe shoes.

Two of my daughters danced toe.  They took dance classes (the oldest for 13 years).  Not just toe but all dance.

Now my granddaughter does the same (she's also a cheerleader).  

I wasn't happy about the toe because my next door neighbor's sister danced for New York City ballet Co.  I used to see her feet.  They were terrible.

Thank goodness, my girls moved on to boys...errr...did I just say that!  Ha!

Respected Contributor

Very interesting.  I had 11 years of ballet training and in later years had the toe surgery that goes along with that.  It is a beautiful art tho

Respected Contributor

I danced professionally and went through pointe shoes like chewing gum. Shoes were always in different stages of use-I used to shellac some and bake to get an extrawearing.

Performing pointe shoes were a fortune, even w/shoes included in the contract.

I always was very careful w/my feet, but yes, mine are not pretty even many years later.

My feet are still very strong, w/high muscled arches; mine also werent the 'ideal' for pointe-that is  toes all the same size-mine are long and tapered.

I was described by a gentleman as 'having legs like a throughbred horse', which I took as a tremendous compliment. That was not all that long ago.

I am thankful that while I am still very limber I also dont have arthritis in hips and back, but rt. hip can be very painful if not warmed up well before exercising.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Two of my daughters danced toe.  They took dance classes (the oldest for 13 years).  Not just toe but all dance.

Now my granddaughter does the same (she's also a cheerleader).  

I wasn't happy about the toe because my next door neighbor's sister danced for New York City ballet Co.  I used to see her feet.  They were terrible.

Thank goodness, my girls moved on to boys...errr...did I just say that!  Ha!

@Annabellethecat66

I know several girls who dance pointe and they don't have terrible feet.  The dancer in the video doesn't have terrible feet.

BUT, I know others who do (have not very pretty feet).

Personally, I would take the ugly feet as trade off for the dance accomplishments.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot And that's what makes life wonderful (freedom of choice).

As it happens my daughter's were OK dancers.  To give you an idea about my oldest, she started at age 2 1/2 (just standing there) because the Dr said, (After so many black eyes, falling down, etc) "Please put that kid in something where she understands she has 2 arms and 2 legs or she isn't going to make it to 5".  Ha!  These days I'd have been investigated for child abuse.  She even bit her tongue so bad we had to have it sewn up (walking and talking).

Anyway, it's all about being TALENTED and CHOICE.  As for me, I have a really bad back and size 11 feet.  They never feel great.  I'd pick good feet 'cause I know the difference.

Honored Contributor

I post this not to 'bust' on ballet dancers.  I love watching them dance.  Dancing brought my late husband and me together.  We loved to dance (not ballet, just rock and roll).

I post about the negativity of what it does to the feet and legs to make people realize how ALL dancers are actually (in my opinion and that of other's) much more of an athlete (as far as talent and drive) than anything that provides entertainment for all of us!  

I think most people are guilty of not thinking about what dancers go through (pain, etc) to entertain the public.  They just watch people up on the stage moving with beauty, not realizing what they go through.

Maybe I'm a little more aware than some because I saw a tiny bit of it...not even much professionally.  Enough to make me appreciate the life of a dancer.

Go to a few of these:

What is the possible long-term damage to a ballet dancer’s legs and feet?

10 Answers
Dane Youssef
Dane Youssef, Have been dancing the practice called ballet for well over a decade....

Oh, dear... My Lord, my child...

Now this is a list that has no end. Now, see... It's harder than being a football player. Or a figure skater.

In nearly any other sport, one is allowed to wear shoes that are stuffed to the brim with nice comfy padding. In ballet, traditionally--the feet have to totally absorb the brunt of the shock. A lot of them have artificial hips by the time they retire. Many of them limp permanently by the time they're retired.

I've heard of lot of ballerinas who have to switch majors when they break their feet.

You should hear of the damage the women with tenure especially have to show for it at the end of their career. They're the ones who have

Now just keep in mind... these are the primary injuries for PROFESSIONAL BALLET DANCERS. Those who make a career--nay, a LIFE of it.

I implore you... it goes on like this. Beware...

--Sincere As Always, DANE YOUSSEF

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot And that's what makes life wonderful (freedom of choice).

As it happens my daughter's were OK dancers.  To give you an idea about my oldest, she started at age 2 1/2 (just standing there) because the Dr said, (After so many black eyes, falling down, etc) "Please put that kid in something where she understands she has 2 arms and 2 legs or she isn't going to make it to 5".  Ha!  These days I'd have been investigated for child abuse.  She even bit her tongue so bad we had to have it sewn up (walking and talking).

Anyway, it's all about being TALENTED and CHOICE.  As for me, I have a really bad back and size 11 feet.  They never feel great.  I'd pick good feet 'cause I know the difference.

@Annabellethecat66

I don't know what the point is of bringing up your daughter's accident prone history or the size of your feet or state of your back, but all I did was say that not all dancers have awful looking feet and what I would choose.

P.S.  I think "good feet" are strong and useful feet, not necessarily pretty ones.

Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot Well, you see I felt like I need to explain why the kid started standing on stage (because that's what she did) at such an early age (dancing for 13 years) and stopping when interested in boys.

By now most people know what they're going to get (a lot of bla bla) when they read my posts. So, I hope I've explained myself thoroughly as I find this exhausting.

This is a free forum...my thought is if you don't like reading bla bla just don't click on Annabellethecat, 'cause that's a what your gonna get!

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is rude to another poster