Honored Contributor

Boy this is Annoying -- Excessive Robocalls this week😠🤬🤯

I am staying at my older friends house while she is in rehab from her recent surgery.

I counted just today 11 back to back calls from ROBOCALLERS. here's the line-up :

7 calls all within 5 minutes of each other: Supposedly, SS administration stating she is not going to receive her benefits unless she "calls this # immediately and the call ends with .... call this department with your information immediately" YEAH RIGHT SCAMMERS ...😠

2 calls from Wells Fargo Finance Department -- her mortgage payment information needs updating. Message: "make sure you have your banking info when you call "our" call bank center" .  of course SCAM she has no mortgage🤬

2 calls back to back from UNKNOWN regarding her credit cards to lower interest rates.  SCAM!🤬

Yesterday, one of those your grandson is in trouble.  Needs you to call this number.  She has no grandchildren!!! ugh😠

Her phone rings all day long!  This is ridiculous ... I asked her if she ever answers the phone when they call.  She said "yes as she has macular degeneration of the eyes and can't see the caller ID".

This is driving me crazy ...of course, I don't answer but they left messages!

I wonder if they target a certain age group!  Or because she's answered they just redial her # in hopes she is off guard😠😠😠😠

Honored Contributor

Re: Boy this is Annoying -- Excessive Robocalls this week😠🤬🤯

Answering the phone encourages more calls.  They know at least there's a live body there who may be susceptible to the next call.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Some day soon you’ll go home and her phone calls won’t be getting on your nerves. Some people acknowledge these calls are annoying but they just clear the messages and ignore the nuisance value. As long as your friend doesn’t fall for the scams and doesn’t need your protection from that kind of mistake, I think you should tolerate it at her house, be a helpful rehab pal,  and revel in the thought that your own phone doesn’t have this affliction

This may be daily for her, but you would not have known if you weren’t living there temporarily. It’s temporary. And survivable. 

Regular Contributor

Actually, they have been terrible for everybody!!! I had this one number calling all day long, the name on ID said OPINION.

Then I had 5 back to back voicemail messages, something about cancer, but not a person, a robo. 2 messages from same place the next day.

They call the house phone and the cell phone. They call mine and my kids. I don't think anyone is safe. 

The calls are coming from all different states, per the id. And I very rarely pick up the phone. 

Esteemed Contributor

Can not even imagine how hard it must be for your friend to not see enough to screen her calls.  That much would drive me crazy.

Trusted Contributor

Not sure if you are ever in a gift giving situation with this friend but if you are you might consider giving her a phone that announces the caller ID info and/or call blocker.  That way she can know who is calling and decide if she want to answer and with the blocker she can press a button and not let that number get through in the future.  It does not stop the problem completely but it can help a lot. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

@Havarti  Great idea. However, those scammers continually change the numbers from which they are calling. Thus, you never know if it's the same person or another scammer. They are smart; but not in a useful way to society. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gizmogal wrote:

Some day soon you’ll go home and her phone calls won’t be getting on your nerves. Some people acknowledge these calls are annoying but they just clear the messages and ignore the nuisance value. As long as your friend doesn’t fall for the scams and doesn’t need your protection from that kind of mistake, I think you should tolerate it at her house, be a helpful rehab pal,  and revel in the thought that your own phone doesn’t have this affliction

This may be daily for her, but you would not have known if you weren’t living there temporarily. It’s temporary. And survivable. 

@gizmogal 

Frankly, I am not complaining at any level.  She called me for help.  I'm doing her the favor of taking care of her because no way would she be able to come home alone!  I was to be here for a week & now going on 3!  

Quite frankly, if anything her children should be here NOT me but they are too "busy"🤬.  (Now this topic would start my rant😠).  fyi: both are retired in case you're wondering!

I don't answer her phone NOR do I want too!  She can clear them.  

Dear Lord I'm not protecting her,etc.  I am just stating she's 87 lives alone and was wondering if these "####" target certain demographic.

As for my own home (1500 miles away) rarely do I get these calls.

Trusted Contributor

Robocalls have hit an all-time high! I let the answer machine pick them up. Most of the time there's no message. But I other day I got the worst message ever! It wasn't a computer generated voice. It was actually a young woman who said, "I'm calling about your recent diagnosis of non-hodgkin's lymphoma." That is just plain horrible!
Respected Contributor

This must be a day of scam phone calls.

I have a cell phone only and don't get all that many robo calls. My cell provider IDs them as spam so I don't answer.

I got three today. One was the social security account suspended call. They left a message. The others did not.