Esteemed Contributor

Re: Boy this is Annoying -- Excessive Robocalls this week😠🤬🤯

1.  I keep getting calls with the caller ID " out of service."

2.  Some calls leave messages about being the US GOVT

3.  If I do answer I remain silent and they hand up.  

4   Some calls canvas for charities that may or may not be legit

This is my day... I get 14-15 calls a day. 

These are on my home phone.  My cell phone I cannot find most of the time so it does not bother me.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Answering the phone encourages more calls.  They know at least there's a live body there who may be susceptible to the next call.

@homedecor1 I agree with @Kachina624 .  I am assuming this is a hard wired phone and answering machine.  There are answering machines that tell you who calls in addition to the display.  I had one of those.  her phone may have that feature, and just need to be set up.  I can also arrange for my cell phone to tell me who is calling, her cell phone probably has this feature too.  Maybe you want to try/suggest these alternatives.

Honored Contributor

Have been getting these calls since I went on Medicare. I think they are related to that and they try and target seniors. Guess they think we are easily scammed...I block all these calls  but new ones just keep coming. Today I got one and the caller ID said it was from Russia. Guess even Putin is selling stuff now!😉 I have been getting almost a dozen a day. I was in the hospital for two days of tests last week....afterwards is when the number of calls skyrocketed. Any connection?

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1  I'm sure she is targeted, probably due to AARP or medicare or similar programs that she may be affiliated with.  It's really sad, but they probably figure she is more gullible and is more trusting then the younger generations.

I would suggest to her nomorobo, it has been a lifesaver for my elderly parents and for myself.  I rarely have any telemarketers get through long enough to even leave a message.  I think the only ones that have gotten through were local businesses that were dialing through a phone book.  I know they were local because I am familiar with them.

Nomorobo has stopped 99% of the calls from telemarketers.  And it's free for landlines through my phone provider.  Just follow the instructions - took less then 5 minutes to sign up, wait for the phone call test, and I was done.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

I have days like that too.    Sometimes I answer but I never speak.   Tell your friend not to speak, they record everything and will use her voice to to make up their own answers.

Today I received 7 calls.

Some I block, some I put in my Contacts as a do not answer.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a smartphone and 75% of my incoming calls are spam.  I use Truecaller to manage them.  The worst is that frequently they " mimic" my area code (way different from where I live) and prefix and, sometimes, they even post the name of the (so called) caller.  One time they used the name of someone I know so I answered: another scam!  I have noticed that many of my calls originate in areas near military bases (Fallbrook, Newberry Springs, etc).  Maybe spouses are trying to make a little money and are at Call Centers. Nothing against Military families but sometimes spouses have real problems finding decent employment (particularly in isolated areas).

Trusted Contributor

One day I got 18 calls from my own number.  I don’t answer any but they just keep coming. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1  It sounds like she has a lot more problems to worry about than those robo calls. I wouldn't mention anything. Continue to be a caring friend. Hope her recovery is complete and she is able to return to her home safely.

She must be an amazing woman to continue living alone without any help from her children. Helping her is good for you and, I'm sure has brought her much joy and relief in the outcome of having surgery. It's probably been a very long time since she has asked anyone for help.

Thank you for your kindness, caring and compassion during her hospitalization.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Havarti  Great idea. However, those scammers continually change the numbers from which they are calling. Thus, you never know if it's the same person or another scammer. They are smart; but not in a useful way to society. 

Thus the recommendation NEVER to answer an I identified call. For those of us who were raised on “land lines” that were THE ONLY mainstream way to communicate with the outside world, it is VERY CHALLENGING to leave that phone where it is while it’s ringing.

When asked to give a phone number by merchants, service people, social organizations etc., I give my “home” phone number and STIPULATE that the phone is ALWAYS ANSWERED AND CHECKED FREQUENTLY, which I hope and intends,  implies to callers that I NEED AND EXPECT that they will leave a message.

This is imperfect, but sad to say, it’s all that’s left for using a household phone at all. I personally think the single user cell phone somehow limits and diminishes inter-family, inter-friend communication, but that’s because I wasn’t “face timing” while I was in diapers.

My grandchild are actually startled by the electronic jingle my landline phone makes. Grateful to remember the cheery jingle that emanated mechanically from the two bowl shaped bells on the old signal box with the Bell logo impressed into the shiny black enameled cover. Sigh......

Honored Contributor

I would talk to her,and ask her if she answers these calls.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.