Super Contributor

Re: Boston Bomber found guilty on all counts!!!

Cushy in prison with three meals a day, prison library, prison provided exercise equipment, medical care, dental care, religious counseling access, psychological counseling access, computers, running water for toilet & showering.

vs.

Living under a bridge. Or on a park bench. Scrounging through trash for their next meal. Panhandling for money. No medical or dental or other things mentioned above available or easily available.

MAYBE that is where it comes from. While prison isn't a picnic in the park . . . neither is living on a park bench.

Esteemed Contributor

Spending 23 hrs/day in a 12x7 cell with a window slit is hardly luxurious. Especially when you consider he may be there for the next 60+ years.

Honored Contributor

On 4/10/2015 KittyLouSoutenu said:
On 4/10/2015 tansy said:

As a person who puts personal freedom at the top of the best things about living in the US (or anywhere else) I consider being put away for life in a maximum security prison to be about as harsh a sentence as a person could have.

Solitary would be the WORST. But I consider that to be extreme cruelty.

I believe we are better than that.

I agree with everything you said, KLW.

Hi, tansy!

Waving to KLW. I've got bail money if you lose control with the B at work todaySmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

On 4/10/2015 Qwackertoo said:

Cushy in prison with three meals a day, prison library, prison provided exercise equipment, medical care, dental care, religious counseling access, psychological counseling access, computers, running water for toilet & showering.

vs.

Living under a bridge. Or on a park bench. Scrounging through trash for their next meal. Panhandling for money. No medical or dental or other things mentioned above available or easily available.

MAYBE that is where it comes from. While prison isn't a picnic in the park . . . neither is living on a park bench.

Don't forget that in prison they can get as many college degrees as they have time to complete, on the taxpayer's dime of course. That's something that most of the prisoners' parents couldn't provide them, but yet they get those opportunities handed to them when they commit a crime. Just doesn't sound fair to me.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

On 4/10/2015 tansy said:

As a person who puts personal freedom at the top of the best things about living in the US (or anywhere else) I consider being put away for life in a maximum security prison to be about as harsh a sentence as a person could have.

Solitary would be the WORST. But I consider that to be extreme cruelty.

I believe we are better than that.

I agree with everything you said, KLW.

I do too.

I can't think of any maximum security prison where life is described as "cushy".

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

If he gets life in prison, remember that this was a Federal trial, and you & me taxpayer will be paying for him, not just the State of Mass.

I just hope and pray he will get lethal injection, and burn in you know where!{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Super Contributor

Solitary confinement is ""cruel"" and we're better than that? It's not water-boarding for cripes sake.

Weird that the same poster calling that cruel just wrote on another thread that she wants to punch her boss right in the face.

Got to love the faux bleedin hearts.

Respected Contributor

On 4/10/2015 Hooty said:

If he gets life in prison, remember that this was a Federal trial, and you & me taxpayer will be paying for him, not just the State of Mass.

I just hope and pray he will get lethal injection, and burn in you know where!{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

I hope as you do, Hooty, but prepare yourself that the opposite is likely to happen, unfortunately.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor

Actually, solitary confinement is for his own protection. Not cruel. Harsh perhaps. But again, for his protection. Those in solitary more than likely wouldn't last too long IF they weren't OR they'd be wishing they were in solitary or "put out of their misery" sooner than later.

Super Contributor

On 4/10/2015 HollyDays said:

Solitary confinement is "cruel" and we're better than that? It's not water-boarding for cripes sake.

Weird that the same poster calling that cruel just wrote on another thread that she wants to punch her boss right in the face.

Got to love the faux bleedin hearts.

Yes, solitary confinement is cruel. Why don't you hear what those who have been put in solitary say about what happens to them. And yes, I think we are better than that. Civilized countries do not inflict cruel and inhumane punishment. The governments you probably abhor DO do that. You want us to be like them?

And it's really too funny that you would equate a statement I made about wanting to punch a woman I work with (not my boss, btw) in the face because of her nastiness towards us in the office to cruelty.

Seriously, too funny.