Esteemed Contributor

One thing I've actually enjoyed about this whole pandemic thing is newscasters, celebrities, and others being interviewed from their homes.  It's been fun to see inside their homes and sometimes I'm more interested in what's behind them than what they are saying.

What I've noticed is that a large percentage of interviewees have a bookcase behind them filled with books.  Usually a white, full wall bookcase.  Are all these people being interviewed at the same location?  With the same white bookcase?  Do the interviewees actually read all those books?  Do they think it makes them look smart to be seen with large bookcases in their background?

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

It's most likely a Zoom (or whatever platform they're using) background rather than their actual home. I've had to participate in a few Zoom meetings for my volunteer gig, and I pick a different background every time. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

@tototwo This is an interesting post as I have had the same thoughts!  I've also noticed that so many have "their" most recent book strategically placed on the white bookshelf behind them : )

I have always wanted full-wall bookcases in my home.......so watching these interviews has been a real teaser for me.

Respected Contributor

Those are legitimate bookcases because many of these folks have moved their computers to show other parts of the same room, you can tell they change the Books showing the covers. The kitchens are my favorite.

I'm over 2000 books read in "goodreads" but I only have about a dozen on a bookshelf. I get all mine either from the library or online from Amazon, or Chirp.  

Esteemed Contributor

Good info, @FrostyBabe1 -- I've never "zoomed" so didn't know you could choose a background.  Interesting.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

Gosh, I noticed exactly the same thing.  Some of those bookcases are so neat that I want to start straightening up my house - LOL.  And YES, I've seen several who have their books strategically placed for the viewers to see.  I guess business is business.  

Esteemed Contributor

I gravitate to two networks, and I can tell you that the people I see interviewed always have pretty much the same backdrops of bookcases.  They are indeed their own backdrops, as they are all unique and consistent every time with the person being interviewed.

I find it endlessly interesting, and the contrast between a young journalist in the business and an older established journalist is interesting.  Time and success is measured in the amount of books, it seems.

Kitchen interviews are interesting, as well.  It seems vases of flowers or large bowls of fruit are ever-present.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

Those are legitimate bookcases because many of these folks have moved their computers to show other parts of the same room, you can tell they change the Books showing the covers. The kitchens are my favorite.

I'm over 2000 books read in "goodreads" but I only have about a dozen on a bookshelf. I get all mine either from the library or online from Amazon, or Chirp.  

@Bhvbum My bookcase is not quite to the ceiling, but close.   I've amassed upwards of 3,000 (actual) books over my lifetime ... so much so that I've filled another bookcase in my basement.   So yes, people do read ... and in my case, cannot bear to part with favorites.

Trusted Contributor

I often find my myself zoning out while watching these type of interviews because I'm so busy trying to read the titles on the books on the shelves in the background. I sometimes wonder if they've actually read all of them or if they're just there to look good. I also like when a person who is frequently interviewed moves to differ locations in their home. 

Respected Contributor

Avid readers of a certain age -- you know, before everything went electronic, have extensive book collections.  I'm one of those, too.

However, I've been downsizing my collection.  I'm keeping two large cases of special books including some signed works (a favorite, Fevre Dream, signed by George R.R. Martin), but I now have some moving boxes full in my garage ready for donation this coming year.

I decided that if I become ill, or worse, I don't want others to have to deal with moving books. It's a lot of work. So, I'm into my Kindle for future reads now, but nothing will ever replace the feeling of the physical book in my hand, or the desire to collect them.